Mandarans

chickenman486

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2015
west michigan
I was wondering if when I order mandarin duck pair at a hatchery I was thinking if they would give me a female and a male duck? Also can I keep them with chickens and 2 other ducks? My last question is can I keep them is Michigan or will they die. Thanks
big_smile.png

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks. I've had a few, but never any Mandarin Ducks although they are certainly adorable. I would suggest posting your question on our Duck section under Other Backyard Poultry in the Forum at the top of the page. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif

The duck forum is the best place to get your duck questions answered. But I've been researching ducks for the coming spring myself and can tell you that some hatcheries will sex the ducklings and some only offer straight run. The problem with housing ducks with chickens is that the drakes will try to mate with the chickens and since their anatomy is different from a roosters, they can injure the chickens.

Here's a link to the duck forum:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom