Mandarin duck eggs

PoultryNoob37

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2022
Hello

About 1 week ago I saw my Mandarin duck mate. I think they have mated before but it was my first time seeing it. There is a nesting box for them but they have not layed in the box. However I think they lay there eggs in the box for the chicken. But the problem is that my wellsummer hen lays the same colour eggs the mandarin duck do so I don't know which ones are hers. Is it possible that she hasn't laid yet? Should I incubate all the eggs?
Can somebody give my some advice on what I should do and how I should incubate the eggs if they are indeed Mandarin duck eggs?
Thanks

Hello

About 1 week ago I saw my Mandarin duck mate. I think they have mated before but it was my first time seeing it. There is a nesting box for them but they have not layed in the box. However I think they lay there eggs in the box for the chicken. But the problem is that my wellsummer hen lays the same colour eggs the mandarin duck do so I don't know which ones are hers. Is it possible that she hasn't laid yet? Should I incubate all the eggs?
Can somebody give my some advice on what I should do and how I should incubate the eggs if they are indeed Mandarin duck eggs?
Thanks
My Mandarin ducks are mating already but won't be laying eggs for at least another month. Just because they mate doesn't mean they're laying. Usually the hens also get very gravid a couple days before starting to lay.
Your Mandarin ducks should absolutely never be around chickens. Chickens carry tons of diseases that more fragile ornamental ducks like Mandarins would get sick and die from. Chickens can also become aggressive and can cause serious damage to a small duck.
I'm sure the Mandarin ducks would never lay eggs in the same box as a chicken either, especially if there are other options. They're very protective of their nests and don't like sharing. The drakes drive all other birds away from their nest site.
Mandarin duck eggs would also look different than chicken eggs, they have a very shiny bloom compared to the dull look chicken eggs have. They feel glossy.

My Mandarin ducks are mating already but won't be laying eggs for at least another month. Just because they mate doesn't mean they're laying. Usually the hens also get very gravid a couple days before starting to lay.
Your Mandarin ducks should absolutely never be around chickens. Chickens carry tons of diseases that more fragile ornamental ducks like Mandarins would get sick and die from. Chickens can also become aggressive and can cause serious damage to a small duck.
I'm sure the Mandarin ducks would never lay eggs in the same box as a chicken either, especially if there are other options. They're very protective of their nests and don't like sharing. The drakes drive all other birds away from their nest site.
Mandarin duck eggs would also look different than chicken eggs, they have a very shiny bloom compared to the dull look chicken eggs have. They feel glossy.
Thank you for the information. The poultryfarm I got them from said it was okay to put them with our chickens. They sleep in the same coop as the chicken. I noticed that the male has become a bit more agressive towards the chicken and that both of them make more noice as well. The ducks sleep on top of the nesting box that is meant for the chickens. When the mandarin duck starts to lay eggs should I just leave them there or should I take them in to incubate them myself? I have a Brinsea (maxi eco 2).

Back
Top Bottom