Mandarin duck question

DucksAreBest

🦆 𝓓𝓾𝓬𝓴 𝓛𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓻 🦆
Jan 21, 2021
Camas, Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I don't have any mandarin ducks, but I am thinking of getting some. My question is - Is there any way to make them lay more? I know that if a Mallard started laying and you keep on taking the eggs, she will keep on laying, but is it the same with Mandarin ducks?
@wilwingswaterfowl @swampfox440 @The Phantom @MGG?

I don't have any mandarin ducks, but I am thinking of getting some. My question is - Is there any way to make them lay more? I know that if a Mallard started laying and you keep on taking the eggs, she will keep on laying, but is it the same with Mandarin ducks?
Why do you want them to keep laying? You can sometimes "milk" a few more out of them if you continue pulling an egg or two like you said, but you probably won't end up with too many more eggs.

My experience with mandarin duck is they only lay in the spring and you wont get any more eggs but clutch with them. I heard meat helps :oops:

Why do you want them to keep laying? You can sometimes "milk" a few more out of them if you continue pulling an egg or two like you said, but you probably won't end up with too many more eggs.
Thank you for the information!!!!!! I hatch and sell ducklings so I want to know how many eggs I can get.

Last edited:
At the most two clutches like with wood ducks if you pull a clutch of eggs they will sometimes lay another . A way to get more eggs is to buy several pairs and house them in one coop with a decent sized swimming area in a good sized covered run . If you don't have netting or some wire over the top of the run the Raptors will make short work of them Hawks , Owls But there is a warning ! These wild fowl are addicting :yesss::yesss::thumbsup

At the most two clutches like with wood ducks if you pull a clutch of eggs they will sometimes lay another . A way to get more eggs is to buy several pairs and house them in one coop with a decent sized swimming area in a good sized covered run . If you don't have netting or some wire over the top of the run the Raptors will make short work of them Hawks , Owls But there is a warning ! These wild fowl are addicting :yesss::yesss::thumbsup
Thank you very much!!! Yes, I will make sure to cover their area.

Short answer is no.You can pull the eggs and normally get a second clutch but some times she will just stop.If you take her eggs she will rarely lay in the same box.So you better have more boxes.

This is my first season with Mandarins so I'm not sure. I do know some ducks will lay a clutch and if you pull it they will have another. I would rather have my ducks sit their own so I don't pull any eggs unless they don't sit. My stupid Wood duck won't even keep laying in one nest.

Also a duck is born with a certain amount of eggs. So if you were to push to get more eggs in some seasons then you will end up with none in later seasons.

Last edited:
Short answer is no.You can pull the eggs and normally get a second clutch but some times she will just stop.If you take her eggs she will rarely lay in the same box.So you better have more boxes.
This is my first season with Mandarins so I'm not sure. I do know some ducks will lay a clutch and if you pull it they will have another. I would rather have my ducks sit their own so I don't pull any eggs unless they don't sit. My stupid Wood duck won't even keep laying in one nest.

Also a duck is born with a certain amount of eggs. So if you were to push to get more eggs in some seasons then you will end up with none in later seasons.
Thank you so much!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom