Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

oh yea, forgot to mention, if using this method, BE SURE to have a tightly closed brooder for them, they and all cavity nesters ducklings can climbs like squirles, 2 foot of vertical cardboard (box style brooders) they'll be on your carpet in 2 minutes or less, LOL

Best raised out in a fulled enclosed brooder.

Quote:
If you take the babies when they hatch will she lay another clutch?

If that's your goal, it's best NOT to let her hatch them at all. Take them 1/2 way threw and finish in an incubator. With these types of waterfowl, once they hatch a clutch, their biological need to reproduce for the year has been fulfilled, to avoid this, it's best to pull them and finish in an incubator. Usually can t get 2 sometimes 3 clutches this way.

Are they difficult to hatch? Could I leave them with her until lockdown and then take them?

They are one of the easiest of the migratory waterfowl species, but still harder than domestics. You can leave them like that, BUT the longer you leave them with the hen, the less likely you are to get a double clutch, the longer she sits, the more that biological clock ticks away.
Also, be very careful to keep acturate dates on the clutch, YOU DO NOT want her to hatch then in an open pen then have to try to catch all those little buggers. They are some kind of fast and will scatter in a million directions. Like I've said in other threads, if you do let her hatch them, then have to catch them, please get some one to record it for me, LOL

55%-60 is where I usually kept mine, I also kept a mister bottle in the incubator and sprayed them lightly every time I turned (they do horrible in turners hand turn 3 times a day)
Keeping the ,ister in the incubator also keeps the water at incubator temp so that it doesnt shock them when you spray them....now dont spoke the heck out of them, just a faint light misting is fine, you are just simulating a wet hen coming back from feeding

Quote:
Thanks BBB! You are a wealth of information and an asset to the hobby! I truly appreciate having you on the forum.
smile.png

no problem, and thanks for the complements, just always love trying to help folks out when I can...forgot to mention I always bumped the humidity up a good bit for the hatch too, just like any other egg, raise it another 10-15% for them

Let me know if you have any other questions on them.

i like your setups how big our your pens? my Mandarins are incubating right now and i have 1 wood duck sitting too just have 1 that isnt laying yet.

Back
Top Bottom