Mandarin ducklings dying at 3 weeks old

Attimus was talking about Aubrey Webb... his username on BYC is Boggy Bottom Bantams as that is the name of his business... minihorse927 tagged him to answer your question... he's very experienced and knowledgeable with many rare breeds...
smile.png
Aha, yeah i read many posts by him before, a true expert.

Now I'm curious, lol... let us know??
OK OK I got all worked up for nothing, admittedly it was late ;). The marking on the face of the Mandarin looks distinct in that it truely is a circle around the eye with a long pinstripe leading from it towards the back of the head while the wood ducks is more of a teardrop shape and much thicker around the eye itself. Qbert is still the wonderful woodduck I thought she was.

consequently , coccidia takes 3 weeks to incubate? are they on medicated feed?
good high protein starter too.
Incubation has nothing to do with it. If they hatch and make it past a few days, its environmental , disease, or poor feed.

consequently , coccidia takes 3 weeks to incubate? are they on medicated feed?
good high protein starter too.
Incubation has nothing to do with it. If they hatch and make it past a few days, its environmental , disease, or poor feed.
We tried both feeds medicated and not medicated, as i read here they shouldn't get medicated feed.

I gave my friend the same feed i i give to my peachicks, its not medicated and has 18% protein, they still die.

Its weird how they dies, you will see them walking normally in the brooder and in few seconds you will see one died lying on its back.

if you have coccidian issues in your area, it's best to give them medicated feed.
ive been doing this since I was 8-9, I'm 41 now, cant always believe what you read on here.
there's a lot that will tell you that, just repeating another old wives tale .

check the niacin level in the feed, that is one ingredient waterfowl do need.

Just read in blue Creek aviaries.. The jump start is a myth or so they say and although theses ducklings do barrel out of trees it's not what gets them going so to speak. This is also the first place I've found that mentions this directly.
If your going to let her set them just make sure you've got good feed and clean water. I used nutridrench in the water when raising my wood duckling from only a few days old and mix of gamebird crumble and wild bird seed. Not a big fan of live mealworms that I grow but eats apple pieces out of my hand if it suits her at the time.

Indeed- perching ducklings do not need to be dropped in order for their digestive system to function properly. In a captive setting these ducklings can be quite easy to rear with practice. If you look on my Facebook page, Blue Creek Aviaries, I recently posted a picture of a Mandarin Ducking in a wet brooder from Leucopsis Products (www.leucopsis.com), and I feel like wet brooding is beneficial to ducklings as they are on water soon after birth in the wild.

I definitely would listen to what Boggy Bottom Bantams recommends. Trying medicated feed might help out the situation if you are dealing with cocci.

Good luck with them!

Last edited:
if you have coccidian issues in your area, it's best to give them medicated feed.
ive been doing this since I was 8-9, I'm 41 now, cant always believe what you read on here.
there's a lot that will tell you that, just repeating another old wives tale .

check the niacin level in the feed, that is one ingredient waterfowl do need.
What is niacin level? Is it Vitamin B3?

I will send you the ingredients of the only medicated feed i could find here, i will send you the link PM.

I didn't get much trouble with coccidia before

Last edited:
no, niacin is an actual ingredient itself. most birds are too picky about it, but waterfowl do actually need it. Its a common problem in them on normal chicken feeds. Game bird starter usually has the proper levels in it though

Back
Top Bottom