Mangled duck bill

WOW! Thats tough to look at, absoultly heart wrenching. I can only "imagine" what I would do if I was in this awful situation. I'm a pretty firm believer in "quality of life" over "quantity of life". I would want to do everything I possible could to save it. But that having been said, sometimes less...is more. As much as it would hurt to lose one of my "babies", it's going to hurt far more each day I have to see it struggle and suffer. It's difficult not to be selfish, but what is n the best interest of the animal? Just saying'...

Thank you all so much for your concern. I don't know yet what today's outcome has been. The duck belongs to my friends, and they are making the difficult decisions--they and I have been busy today and I haven't heard yet what they are doing. I will update as I'm able.

In the mean time, I totally get what everyone is saying. I have euthanized an animal on occasion when I believed its quality of life would not be worth the pain and suffering of recovery. I believe my friends are more concerned for the animal than for themselves--they want to do what she would want, not what they want.

The lady at the waterfowl rescue listened to my description of the injury, which I gave in gruesome detail, and she said that they've seen birds with similar injuries and worse that went on to live happy and basically normal lives after recovery. She recommended that my friends bring the bird in immediately and surrender her to their care (which means that my friends will have to give up their pet, but like I said, I believe they are more invested in her welfare than in their attachment to her), and that they would do what they could. They have an amazing program down there with outstanding experience, expertise, and veterinary access. Like I said, I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier.

And if they're not able to save her or if her quality of life is likely to be low, they will be able to let her go in a quiet, peaceful way using the best techniques for euthanization.

Like I said, when I talked to my friends last, this seemed like the best course of action but I haven't heard the outcome yet.

Also, thank you for those who are concerned for the son. I feel awful for him. He is a sweet, sensitive boy who loves and cares for those ducks better than most kids are capable of caring for a dog. He knows everything about each and every one of them, including what shape each one's eggs are and every little quirk. Add to that, he feels emotions very strongly and also feels his own responsibility for things very heavily. So I know he is heartbroken and feeling just terrible about the incident. That was actually my first worry when I heard what had happened. But he will be okay in the long run. He is lucky to have the wonderful family he belongs to--they will help him deal with his emotions, and he'll be fine. It's just hard right now. So, anyway, thank you for thinking of him too.
smile.png

Thank you all very much for all the support. I wanted to let everyone know that the duck did not make it.
sad.png
Her family is sad, but at least she is not suffering any longer.

That poor boy. It's such an easy mistake to make - we've done it, and as adults. My prayers go out to him and his family. Thank you for trying to help them through it.

I'm glad the duck is no longer suffering. I've never seen anything quite like that. I wonder what kind of predator it was??

Ooh...that does look bad...I agree with what everyone else says...Euthanasia is certainly not a bad idea if its visibly degrading in health and/or in lots of pain.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

We are praying for her...

hugs.gif
to all involved the family ,iamcuriositycat, - the vet- and to the ducks who will also miss their friend. It must have been very traumatic. At least now she has no more pain and was allowed to go with dignity.

Back
Top Bottom