Manual cervical dislocation, easier than expected

I only found one, out of dozens, of broomstick vids that didn't rip the head right off the bird.

That's a shame that people are making videos of bad technique.

Part of the advantage of the broomstick method is that the bleed-out is contained in the skin of the neck -- making it neat and tidy for people doing their butchering in a place where a mess of blood would be a problem.

It's not easy at all with a full grown rooster, I can tell ya. Nor an older hen, really. Thus the broomstick being so popular. Of course, there will be differences between a strong man with a long "wingspan" vs someone smaller or not as strong. If it works for you, that's great.

Personally, physically feeling their head in my hand completely creeps me out and I won't do it by hand unless it's a dire emergency. Even young chicks, I use a 4 quart feed bucket, like a Fortiflex brand, that has a heavy handle that follows the same line as the rim. Put the head over the rim, the handle over the back of the head, hold down with one hand and pull the legs up with the other.

I agree that cervical dislocation is the most humane.

That's a shame that people are making videos of bad technique.
Yeah, well, misinformation abounds.

Part of the advantage of the broomstick method is that the bleed-out is contained in the skin of the neck -- making it neat and tidy for people doing their butchering in a place where a mess of blood would be a problem.
Do they tho?
Have you slaughtered this way?
I slit the throat when slaughtering for good bleed out.

Gross.

I hate thinking about it but I'm going to have to do this, some method discussed in this thread (soon) if I am going to continue keeping chickens.

At least I have lots of experienced opinions to go by.

Thanks. 🤢

It's not easy at all with a full grown rooster, I can tell ya. Nor an older hen, really. Thus the broomstick being so popular. Of course, there will be differences between a strong man with a long "wingspan" vs someone smaller or not as strong. If it works for you, that's great.

I'd heard that which is why I included their age in the post, as a reference for others. I still have two young cockerels which will likely be too many for my tiny flock so expect I'll be doing this again in a few months. I'll post an update if/when I try this with an older bird.

Do they tho?
Have you slaughtered this way?
I slit the throat when slaughtering for good bleed out.

Yes, I did all my packing peanuts from the in-town flock and then, with aid from DH's best friend, the flock when they retired.*

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with the use of a cone and cutting the throat, but I was perfectly happy with the carcass quality.

I held them upside down by the feet while they flapped then laid them on their side on a table with the head hanging over a trash can and took the head off with a sharp knife at the proximal end of the separation. Head and blood dropped neatly into the trash can.

*I didn't replace the flock then because I was working 50-hour weeks and didn't have time to care for them properly.

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with the use of a cone and cutting the throat, but I was perfectly happy with the carcass quality.

I held them upside down by the feet while they flapped then laid them on their side on a table with the head hanging over a trash can and took the head off with a sharp knife at the proximal end of the separation. Head and blood dropped neatly into the trash can.
Good Description.

Back
Top Bottom