Maran? And something mysterious

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vickivail98, Jun 20, 2016.

1. vickivail98

vickivail98 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Southern Michigan
    I'm trying to ID these two bird types, the pale grey I only have one of, s/he has pale slate legs (s/he's the one in front of my lovely White Chantecler). The black chick with lovely coppery brown neck feathers has yellow legs and most of them had white wing tips when they were little but seem to be losing them. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  2. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Marans do not have yellow skin/legs.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What hatchery did they come from?

The first bird looks like a black sex link.

the second puts me in mind of a blue Orpington, but I can't be sure of the skin color from the pic. And it looks like a cockerel, depending on age.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

5. vickivail98

vickivail98 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Southern Michigan
    The brown/black chicks are changing very fast! The pullets are still black with coppery neck feathers but the cockerels are rapidly heading towards an interesting mix of copper heads, Necks, chest and half way down their backs with the black feathers turning to a splendid black with greenish teal sheen. The light bird is getting darker, he looks very much like he's going to be a very large bird with medium dark lavender color. Of my 40 chicks I've only identified 9. I'm going to be keeping a variety of the pullets for eggs and eating the cockerels so I guess it doesn't matter too much but I'm SOOO curious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by