Maran behavior

WickedChicksNH

Crowing
Oct 2, 2017
New Hampshire
Thank you to ThetwoRoos for informing me my lady is a Maran and not a barred rock lol)

Hazel is the first Maran I have owned and let me tell you she is a character, She is about a month old and large, at least compared to other chicks I have (NH RED, Cochin Bantam, White crested polish)

I let her out of her cage (she is indoor right now with my white crested, and two of my month old ducklings) and she just jumps around like a dog, happy I would assume, it's in spurts, she seems a little bossy at times to my polish, but not where she is actually hurting her or doing it at all times.

She loves to lay on her side, you know how chickens love to soak up the sun spread out a wing and just chill. If I didn't already raise chicks I would of though she was dead so many times, she loves to lay on her side, even if she isn't outside with me and is just out of her cage (mind you she is in a huge dog kennel so it isn't like she can' stretch in there)

She takes pretend dirt baths (i say pretend because it is on the rug) and she uses the grit when I give it to them as a dirt bath. (my two cochins did that too)

she bends down like a dog, with her butt in the air and head down, then she just vroom off in a short spurt of a running around like crazy or just jumping around.

She is a cautious one at first, but then she is crawling all over me or what have you.

Is this all normal Maran behavior? I tell you she makes me laugh
Here she is just laying on her side.

hazel.jpg

Last edited:
It’s nitmal happy chicken behavior.Not kill the mood but you don’t have a barred rock,she looks like a marans.

It’s nitmal happy chicken behavior.Not kill the mood but you don’t have a barred rock,she looks like a marans.

Oh rofl, well that is good to know.. some people suggest she could be either or..
(I thought my Khaki Campbell duck was a runner until last week when she started not looking like my other runner duck, shows what I know lol)

Thanks for letting me know!!!

26668F8F-45F3-4971-AAA4-FCE3900D624E.png
I know this was posted awhile ago but I have a French cuckoo Maran that looks just like her, and they do look similar to barred rocks but you probably know by now if she ended up being a Maran by her egg color. My cuckoo Maran is the same she’s always laying down!

Hi,
FYI, It's pronounced Marans. Use the plural even if it is one bird. Like "Deer'. Enjoy your Marans !!
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom