Maran chicks, true breed? And sexing help

Livi

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 15, 2012
Hi! I have tried almost desperately to hatch some maran pullets to give me deep dark brow eggs for next summer and to start step one in my olive-eggers project. I have unfortunately been relying on post eggs for this. First hatch I got only 3/10, all cockerels. I keot the prettiest and biggest, he is a gorgeous roo of approx 13 weeks now :) I just wished he had a sister too... However, then I bought 12 eggs from another breeder, he told me he had copper/blue marans. Unfortunately I did not ask for egg pics, and the eggs I got were like sussex eggs in color. I am aware color may fade a bit late in season, however I thought these were far too bright. 2 chicks hatched 2 weeks ago, cute as can be but I am really uncertain of color. They dont have leg feathers at all. Chick #1& #2 down under. 1 looks like it might be cobber blue, 2 might be wheaten? Or just a mix :(

I choosed to buy 9 more eggs from the first breeder because she sold me really dark eggs. Unfortunately her layers had slowed down so that was all she could collect then. 2 chicks hatched, absolutely adorable and both with pretty obvious combs from first sec. These are #3&#4.

I know it is a bit early yet, but if anyone would give an opinion as to whether I might have just roos this time again I would be very happy. I will probably buy one more lot of eggs if that is the case.

#1:
nyjabeju.jpg
geda5ahe.jpg

#2:
a8e5ubyn.jpg
ery4a6a3.jpg

3#
e6e5abym.jpg
e4u3yzaz.jpg

#4:
2ezyvyta.jpg
y8ygu9ym.jpg

My own best guess is that the yellow is a pullet and the rests are roos.

they might be hens, when breeding blue to blue you can get black blue or splash babies which is what # 2 is a splash. Now most blues don't lay as dark as blacks, but my moms blues do lay a decently dark egg. Not all marans have feathered shanks. hopes this helps

Oh, it will be a splash? Magnificent, I love them :D

Great you think they might be hens I really do hope so. However, seems I have a batch otw next week. I shall have a maran hen next year! :lol:

And thanks for lmk about the feathers, I had a suspicion there might be featherless maran feet, but wasnt sure. Do prefer the fethered legs though ;)

Last edited:
The first two are two weeks the last two are one week. 2,5 weeks was early, thats great :) maybe I can tell in a couple of weeks for sure then.

When the chicks are still young(a few hours old) and their wing feathers are just plasticky sticks, you can tell by the length. If the secondary feathers(closest to body) are even, it is a rooster. If they are uneven, it is a hen.

When the chicks are still young(a few hours old) and their wing feathers are just plasticky sticks, you can tell by the length. If the secondary feathers(closest to body) are even, it is a rooster. If they are uneven, it is a hen.

Thats neat! Is it for all colors and is it reliable? I shall test it and mark chickens next time I hatch :D

I ment does it works on all marans (cuckoo, black/bronze, blue, wheaten) or only some of these? :)

Back
Top Bottom