maran question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jackiedon, Oct 12, 2007.

1. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I hatched out marans and they have feathered feet! Marans don't have feathered feet do they? I have a cuckoo maran rooster from a local breeder and they don't have feathered feet.

I'm thinking I got taken on these eggs I bought.

jackie

2. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    French Marans have feathered feet. In some varieties of Marans this is considered a fault, but in others, it's highly desirable. You must have gotten French Marans from your breeder.

[​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yep, if you got French Marans, you got something cool. We don't see many of those around.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep French Cuckoo Marans definately got feathered feet! They are beautiful tho!

5. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    The orginal breed from France all had feathered shanks. This has been bred out of the American breeds. I have both clean and feathered shanks.

6. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Yep, the above posters are correct...Marans bred to the French standard have feathered shanks. It was bred out of the American bloodlines because the breed was crossed with other breeds to keep it going because of the lack of imported French birds.

I think that there are more people out there breeding to the American standard than the French because of the availability of stock, but there are also quite a few of us breeding for the French standard.

Do you have any pics??? [​IMG]

Here's a pic of my Cuckoo rooster:

[​IMG]

And here's a (not-so-good, sorry) pic of one of my Cuckoo hens:

[​IMG]

You can see the feathering on their shanks. Is this what yours look like? If you did get French Marans, that is cool! But I'm biased, obviously. [​IMG]

Have fun with your new birds! I love my Marans.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    2 of the cuckoo marans we culled had feathered legs. My cuckoo marans came straight run from McMurray, too.

8. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    sorry, i'm going to be a bad person, but it's not a maran. plural or singular, it's marans with an "s".

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by