Marans 11 weeks old

That's what I thought especially when you see the pullet. I was holding out a smidgen of hope because 2 didn't have the extra coloring yet but I was about 90% sure they were cockerels.

Isn't 11 weeks old pretty young to be crowing?

Oh yeah, here is the 1 pullet I got....not to sure if I will do the incubator again :(

That's what I thought especially when you see the pullet. I was holding out a smidgen of hope because 2 didn't have the extra coloring yet but I was about 90% sure they were cockerels.

Isn't 11 weeks old pretty young to be crowing?

thats when mine started never stopped since
roll.png
he is mid crow in this picture

I think I may actually have 2 crowing. They only crow in the morning so far and won't do it if they can see me. The crow I heard the other morning sounded pretty rough compared to what I have been hearing. I think someone else was trying out his voice.

Guess I'll put up an add for some roosters for sell...and an incubator. My last 2 roosters didn't work out so well.

Sadly, that's the thing with incubating. You never know how many cockerels you get. That's why we eat a lot of chicken around here...I'm a hatching addict and there's really not a market for as many cockerels as I produce.

I'd sure advertise one or two of those guys, though. They look like decent quality birds.

Where are you located?

A note about the copper coloring....it tends to increase with age, so you can't count on it for sexing this young. And, some birds don't develop the copper like they should, that's part of what breeders cull for is correct coloring.

I am in idaho. I got my eggs a few hours away from Riggins Fancy Chickens.I am just a backyard chicken lady who started my flock last year so I don't know a lot but it looks like she has some good quality birds. Just wish I would have got a black and a blue hen but it's all in the luck of the hatch I guess, and the luck wasn't on my side this time.

Back
Top Bottom