Marans eggs - first time trying to hatch

graphicali

Chirping
Jun 4, 2015
Hi there, I am going to try hatching some eggs this coming week. 6 black copper marans and 6 wheaten marans eggs. I will be using a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance Incubator with Autoturn Cradle (AD222A). I have heard that marans eggs can be difficult to hatch, do I need to do anything special, or do I just follow the instructions that came with the incubator?

Always follow incubator instructions.
2 additional things to do are to get a proven thermometer to double check your Brinsea. Their Spot Check is a good choice. Thermoworks also have good ones.
Also, weigh the eggs when you collect and when you set. Then weigh them periodically during incubation. Ideally eggs should lose about 0.65% weight each day. The color of extremely dark eggs seems to have an impact on water vapor transpiration.

Thank you, I am keeping my fingers crossed! I had read a post, somewhere on here I think, that described sanding the dark colour off to allow for better transpiration.

I have also seen posts that say to incubate dry until just before hatching, what is your opinion?

I have also seen posts that say to incubate dry until just before hatching, what is your opinion?
I'm dry hatching mine.. They go on lock down tomorrow and I will add water to increase humidity.
I have about 10 Maran eggs in mine (first hatch) but can let you know the results next week!

Oh, good luck - hope your eggs all hatch and be all pullets (assuming that is what you are after). I am tempted to keep humidity low as the eggs (should arrive tomorrow) are supposed to be very dark. I will be interested to hear your results, what kind of incubator are you using? I will also be doing as ChickenCanoe suggests and weighing the eggs. I have only ever used a bantam before!

Will candle again tomorrow before going on lock down. I live in a humid area, so even with out water my incubator has remained about 40-44% humidity

I have Marans and I run the humidity a little lower than other light colored eggs. I believe the extra coating on the egg makes them lose water slower. Coupled with having a large chick anyway I find that it works better for me. You want room in the shell for the chick to turn around and breathe.

Back
Top Bottom