Marans keep or cull

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by La Mike, Oct 28, 2010.

1. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Ok I know there are alot of Maran fanciers on here so here's my ?
    I have 2 really deep red (Collard ?) roos and 1 real copper (collard ?) roo which would be the keepers
    Not sure if the right name for the neck feathers is collar or not so ?
    I only have room for 1 roo and the deeper red are just gorgeous but not sure if it's right

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Could you post pictures of each one? I am new to Marans and I have no idea what 'collared' is but I am sure others will be able to help and a picture is worth a thousand words... Good luck w/ your decisions..

3. bangolure

bangolure Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    its been my experience with BLack Copper Marans, you would want the one with the French characteristics.. feathers on the legs!! otherwise its the English version, not preferred!, and the eggs should be dark and red!, im actually wanting some BCM's now!

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Is the red hackles copper or just less mahogany than the dark one? I have BCMs and blue coppers that have deep mahogany and then the copper ones look more red in comparison. An actual copper (medium brownish) color is what you want. Some can end up with a blonde or straw color which is not desirable. Some can end up actually orange looking which is also not what you want. I really like the mahongany look that some of mine have but it isn't what the standard calls for.

As far as feathered legs or clean legs. It depends on personal choice. Some people actually prefer the clean legged marans and feel that it is easier to keep thier toes and legs cleaner without the feathers but most seem to breed to the french standard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by