1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marans losing all her feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HenriettaPlume, Apr 1, 2015.

1. HenriettaPlume

HenriettaPlume Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
    My Black French Copper Marans had a light molt in November in which she lost some of her neck and back feathers. They grew back in by February, and she resumed laying eggs in early March.

[​IMG]
    (This photo is from two weeks ago. She has lost a considerable amount of feathers since then.)

A few weeks ago, I noticed that her bottom was bare of feathers. Soon her legs started losing feathers, too, and tonight I noticed her upper chest has a large bare patch.

I have checked for mites, and she and the other two birds are clean. She's still laying eggs.

Is it possible she's going through a hard molt? She's looking really raggedy and I'm starting to get concerned.

Many thanks for your insight.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Though they are not suppose to molt in the spring they can and do sometimes do so. She should start growing some pin feathers pretty soon. If she doesn't start worrying then. Though keep in mind she may not grow them all back in right away.

3. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    I agree with Odelia. The normal molt pattern is late summer/early fall, but this can change due to the weather where you are. She should begin growing her feathers back soon. Is there a predator that could be trying to get your chickens? If not, i would look into diseases that cause feather-loss. Good luck to you!!!

4. HenriettaPlume

HenriettaPlume Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    East Lansing
    Thanks to you both for your kind replies. I'm thinking this is a molt. She has a few teeny feathers coming in on her bum, but she's mostly bare there. I'll wait it out and see what happens.

5. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Okay. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by