Marans or not ...

Arklear

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
St. Stephens Church, VA
so, I am thinking what I was told was a Marans as a pullet ... is not a Marans... Could someone help? I am thinking she is a
barred rock

Secondly - a friend gave me this beautiful rooster - his name is "Ricky". We are not sure what kind he is - thoughts anyone?

Here's another from the side:

thanks!!!

Your suspicions are correct, you have a Barred Rock hen, not a Cuckoo Marans. Her legs are yellow, and she has nice military crips bars, not cuckoo patterning.

Your roo loooks to be a mix. I love how he's being a good roo and protecting your chicks
love.gif

Thanks Pele ... I am obviously a novice and spent $$ on her to get a Marans ... won't be buying from that person again. Any thoughts on what mix Ricky might be? His crown/crest is so odd....

I think you're correct about the "Marans"--that looks more like a Barred Rock. Marans shouldn't have yellow legs.

ETA: wow, I took way too long to hit submit. Didn't mean to be so redundant!

Last edited:
I think it's very likely that he's a Chantecler mix. I wish I knew more about cushion comb genetics. But if I were to guess I'd say they are dominant over straight combs (most combs are). So it's entirely possible he's a Bantam Game/Chantecler mix.

Back
Top Bottom