Marans question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by brennacat, Sep 27, 2014.

1. brennacat

brennacat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    I picked up a blue splash pullet back in May and today I picked up a Lemon Cuckoo pullet (also hatched in May) and I want to breed the ladies once they begin to lay.

I like the coloration of these two ladies but have no idea what roo I should pick up and what combinations of colors they may throw. Can someone help direct me in the correct direction? I like these more non traditional colors and I do not like the regular cuckoo marans so please help me choose the correct roo.

I live in south western part of VA and will be looking for a roo from that area if possible. The breeder of the lemon cuckoo told me that the parents came from a Bev Davis line but I do not know the lines of the blue splash.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Those colors are so different, you wont' be able to breed them true with one rooster. If you get a blue or splash rooster to make more splash birds, you'll muddy the pretty lemon color on the other bird. I guess myself, I'd go with lemon cuckoo male. I'm not positive, but I think over the splash female you'd get a bird with yellow on the front and blue on the back. No one would ever recognize it as a Marans, but if it's just your own backyard who cares. If the male is double barred, all his offspring should be barred/cuckoo. If he's single barred, half will have barring.

3. brennacat

brennacat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    hmmm .... guess I may have to get two roos eventually. I have had the splash girl since she was about a week old and at the moment she runs around with a brahma roo and his two ladies.

When I am ready to try to breed her I will remove her from that group. It may upset her a little since she looks at the brahma hens as her sisters. The lemon cuckoo I just got and it looks like he may have had her in a pen with a black copper.

So far neither looks ready to lay and with it being so late in the season I figure it may be spring before I get eggs.

Since I eventually hope to trade eggs with others I guess that means two roos. Chickens are so addicting - it seems you just keep gettin ;) just one more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by