marans rooster without legs feathers

honorkt

Chirping
Mar 21, 2022
hello folks

I have black copper marans got em from UK farm 2 years ago.. all of them have legs feathers and laying brown eggs...

now there chicks at age 6 months start laying first egg was light brown color look like color of welsummer eggs.. not brown as there parents.

also I have one rooster that have no feathers on legs while his parents as i mention before all have legs feathers

if any could help

Could you post pictures of the hens, chicks, and rooster?

Hi there! While I don't see a specific question I'll assume you are wanting to know why the variance in leg feathering and egg colors in the offspring of your original flock of Marans. I've got two French Cuckoo Marans and in my Marans breed research prior to getting them, learned two things related to your concern. First, there are both clean and feather legged varieties, with the English preferring the clean they are allegedly the most common found in UK (Copper Marans) and were purpose bred away from leg feathering. The French version has the feather legs and likely your birds have ancestry of both versions and thus no feathering on legs in that particular bird. It's just in the genetic background. You said you have Copper Marans not French Copper Marans. Given your flock is from UK they are likely a mix of both, but here in the states a Copper Marans would indicate clean legged. Kind of like the King Charles Spaniel and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Both similar yet very different breeds and the one word difference in the name is of no consequence to those unfamiliar with the breeds and people quite often innocently use the wrong names in my experience.

As for egg color, despite all the gorgeous chocolate colored eggs seen online, there is a wide scale of brown possible. It takes a very diligent breeder who selects only the very darkest brown egg layers for their breeding program to produce consistently darker scale egg layers. There is a breed standard for the French Copper Marans eggs. Even so, there's no guarantee on the colors, which actually progressively lighten over time until she goes through molt process which somehow hits the reset back to her darker pigment eggs. Perhaps the clean legged gene may be tied to the lighter eggs also? I'm by no means an Eggspert as I'm new to them myself but perhaps some Marans breeders here can better eggsplain. 🤔

20231212_151501.jpg

this is the old rooster (daddy of hens and rooster that ill post em)

Attach files
20231212_151530.jpg
20231212_154954.jpg
20231212_155539.jpg
20231212_151608.jpg
20231212_151518.jpg
VideoCapture_20231212-152432 (1).jpg

those hens and rooster without legs feathers... all they came from the old rooster daddy the first photo.. and look the color different between mothers and daughters.. btw its first egg that laying by daughters

Hi there! While I don't see a specific question I'll assume you are wanting to know why the variance in leg feathering and egg colors in the offspring of your original flock of Marans. I've got two French Cuckoo Marans and in my Marans breed research prior to getting them, learned two things related to your concern. First, there are both clean and feather legged varieties, with the English preferring the clean they are allegedly the most common found in UK (Copper Marans) and were purpose bred away from leg feathering. The French version has the feather legs and likely your birds have ancestry of both versions and thus no feathering on legs in that particular bird. It's just in the genetic background. You said you have Copper Marans not French Copper Marans. Given your flock is from UK they are likely a mix of both, but here in the states a Copper Marans would indicate clean legged. Kind of like the King Charles Spaniel and Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Both similar yet very different breeds and the one word difference in the name is of no consequence to those unfamiliar with the breeds and people quite often innocently use the wrong names in my experience.

As for egg color, despite all the gorgeous chocolate colored eggs seen online, there is a wide scale of brown possible. It takes a very diligent breeder who selects only the very darkest brown egg layers for their breeding program to produce consistently darker scale egg layers. There is a breed standard for the French Copper Marans eggs. Even so, there's no guarantee on the colors, which actually progressively lighten over time until she goes through molt process which somehow hits the reset back to her darker pigment eggs. Perhaps the clean legged gene may be tied to the lighter eggs also? I'm by no means an Eggspert as I'm new to them myself but perhaps some Marans breeders here can better eggsplain. 🤔
you make point here i like your comment.

Probably what Chicken Keeper said. You have a mix of genes.

Back
Top Bottom