Marans

ivan89

Hatching
Jan 4, 2016
Hi every one I am new to this group and I am recently new to breeding chickens, about 6 months or so. I have 3 marans 2 pullets and a cockerel, and I was wondering if they were getting enough feed throughout the day I feed them in the morning before I go to work. This is the only time I feed them but I always make sure to put extra in their feeder but within less than 10 minutes they all go through the food like if they have not eaten for days and this is an every morning thing. Is this normal? I'm just concerned that they are hungry later in the day and they have eaten all of their food? Any advice would be great

Welcome! this is a great site full of helpful people. When you get a chance check out the learning center, it is full of good information.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
Marans are laying hens? If so then they may not be getting enough food. If they are meat birds meant as pets, you need to limit their food, but most layers only eat what they need. I keep a constant food supply for my Barr Rocks. How much food are you giving them?

Last edited:
Hi thank you for the Informaion organic farm wife. Yes the marans will be for laying and breeding the girls are 5mths old and the cockerel is 4mths old. I feed them all, 3 cups of feed and the cockerel especially is the one always eating most of the food. But like I mentioned in the morning they all seem like their starving. Should I feed them
More?

welcome-byc.gif

I'd make sure they have feed and water available all day long. They will eat what they need.

Thanks for joining us

Yes, I agree, I would get a feeder and keep food in it so they have it all day. They will not over eat. They might eat alot in the beginning, but should even out to a reasonable amount soon.

Your rooster should not be eating layer feed - he doesn't need the extra calcium because he doesn't produce egg shells. It can badly affect his kidneys.

Back
Top Bottom