Marans

Out of all of my chickens the Marans seem to not like change . It seems that everytime I do something they stop laying. They seem to get stressed easily. It could just be mine are like that. But they do make pretty good mothers. One of mine just hatched some babies in November.
20211203_121928.jpg

Out of all of my chickens the Marans seem to not like change . It seems that everytime I do something they stop laying. They seem to get stressed easily. It could just be mine are like that. But they do make pretty good mothers. One of mine just hatched some babies in November. View attachment 2918951
She looks very serious about her job! 😍

Hi! Tell me all about your Marans temperament! Was wondering if they are a good family backyard chicken. I appreciate all the input you all are providing! So helpful on formulating a good 2022 list.
Ours have made great brooders, and they are great chickens. They lay beautiful dark brown eggs, and can be friendly (like most breeds) if they get plenty of Human influence and attention. Mine is a food begger, even though she gets to eat. 😂

We also have dominate copper Marans, and they are mainly skittish because they didn't get a whole ton of attention. I mean, making sure all of 70 chickens get equal attention is hard. We have mainly bought friendly breeds, ones that are cold hardy, and that are good layers. Those are our standards for a good backyard breed.

Ours have made great brooders, and they are great chickens. They lay beautiful dark brown eggs, and can be friendly (like most breeds) if they get plenty of Human influence and attention. Mine is a food begger, even though she gets to eat. 😂
Haha this is funny…this is my blue copper Marans shoving to the front of the group to help herself 😂

Attachments

• 50FFE3E3-0393-4AAF-AF3A-F6782F19546B.jpeg
    50FFE3E3-0393-4AAF-AF3A-F6782F19546B.jpeg
    722.5 KB · Views: 1
Thank you! Her name is Paris! My girl looks like a cuckoo Maran, but she has almost black feathers instead of the gray.
Aw, she is so cute! Very lovely bird!
That’s a great name! Mine is Newbell (it’s a long story haha). She’s a really sweet girl but I think she loves me mainly for the treats! When I let them all out in the morning, she makes baaak baaak noises at me until I get up and do morning treats 😆 it’s all I’m good for haha.

Back
Top Bottom