March 2023 hatch-a-long

Don’t listen to me or take any advice from me, lmao you have to follow your own heart, but…curiosity always gets to me, and idk if I would necessarily help it hatch, but I’d be inclined to open it up a little and see what’s going on. I did this during my February hatch - I heard peeping, and when I candled, there was an internal pip. I waited a day, then made a small safety hole and candled again to see what was up. It was a small hole, but big enough to see into while candling - the poor baby was peeping away with extreme scissor beak and no eyes. I turned off the incubator… 😬 it was a shipped egg, I paid for it, I really wanted it to hatch because it was supposed to be a blue copper marans, so I wasn’t about to just let it die over something trivial, like maybe the eggshell was too hard or something? No, that baby just wasn’t meant to join the flock. It was an educational experience, to say the least - sent me down a rabbit hole reading about potential birth defects.
Do you have any inkling as to how long it may have taken to pass? I am almost tempted to open it up just to cull. :( I have no problem dealing with the grown birds but the chicks are always hard, even if they’re ugly wet things still. Lol

b1.PNG

Curious what breed your silver colored ones are? Trying to guess at what the one grey one I hatched is.
Both are Orpington’s - one lavender and one Isabel coloring .
The silverish one with more yellow and black stripe on top of its head is an Easter egger. Guessing Ameraucana/maran (some little fluff on the feet)

Do you have any inkling as to how long it may have taken to pass? I am almost tempted to open it up just to cull. :( I have no problem dealing with the grown birds but the chicks are always hard, even if they’re ugly wet things still. Lol
Unfortunately, I didn’t really check how long it took. It probably would have been better to take it out and cull it traditionally, but my son was with me at the time. I don’t cull anything in front of him if I can help it, as he’s only 4 and I don’t want him getting any ideas…

Back
Top Bottom