March 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Not the best of photos but 5 out of 12 sablepoots are developing nicely. 🥰
It was weigh day today, they are on track! Not adding any water to raise humidity but it's quite humid in this room anyway - sad thinking I could have doomed previous hatches by just following instructions, which probably kept humidity stupidly high
20230228_112212.jpg

My first hatch went into lockdown yesterday. 15 eggs are still going strong. Let's hope that at least all of those will hatch (out of 54 eggs, lots of infertiles still).
I candled the Augsburger eggs (2nd hatch) yesterday. Out of 38 shipped eggs 32 are alive, which is really amazing for shipped eggs. One had died, the others were infertile. One egg I couldn't tell as there were some markings in the shell. I will give it a couple of days longer.
My Sulmtaler eggs were not visible yet as they are a little darker than the Augsburger. I'll see how they are doing tonight probably.

One hatched and I forgot to shut the bedroom door and the cat was at the incubator!

My incubator is in the laundry room, the same place as the cats' litter box. I made a protective cage for the shelf it's on.

0213221902a-jpg.2993120

I seem to find the green-gray ones hard to see inside.

My one OE's eggs are proving to be really hard to candle. At worst, I'll assume that it if doesn't stink it can stay in until the end.

Yes but what happens if your away and several hatch, and you don't know who came from which egg?

I'm going to try breed baskets because I CANNOT tell which chick came out of which egg.

My incubator is in the laundry room, the same place as the cats' litter box. I made a protective cage for the shelf it's on.

0213221902a-jpg.2993120

My one OE's eggs are proving to be really hard to candle. At worst, I'll assume that it if doesn't stink it can stay in until the end.

I'm going to try breed baskets because I CANNOT tell which chick came out of which egg.
Love this!!! Would be good for lockdown if I was able to zip tie it shut. Puts a whole new meaning to lockdown.

I was very much concerned about the cats knocking the incubator off the shelf by being curious about the noisy, moving things inside it.
Yeah…I don’t blame you. I had 15 Ayam Cemani eggs and 5 Bantam Cochins last month. My 2 year old son was wanting the flashlight. All we’re doing fantastic, and he knocked them all off my dresser. I only had 4 Cemani’s and 1 Cochin make it to lockdown and only the Cochin and 2 Cemani’s hatched. It was a terrible life lesson.

Hello fellow march hatchers! I’ve got a tray of eggs in my old Dickey’s cabinet set to hatch march 15. They are mixed breed from my flock and mostly pre-sold.

916DF21A-1DD7-465B-9576-FC59F93692F4.jpeg

I’m putting another tray in today of eggs for a customer. He brought them for his grandfather and couldn’t tell me the breed so now I’ll be burning with curiosity until they hatch… which should be march 21.

I’m working on getting automated humidity going so I have an easier time getting it up high for hatching. It was kind of stressful hatching in there last year as I was having to be vigilant with monitoring that it didn’t get too low. Hopefully that will be resolved with the mister.
589485EF-0BD4-4537-B68A-58F8BC98353A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom