March 2023 hatch-a-long

The one chick I had to help hatch, and thought wasn’t going to make it, is now one of the biggest and sweetest chicks. Never had a chick want to be held so much. My 8 year old named her pumpkin seed. Lol one week tomorrow!

Attachments

• A1F98C53-852E-43B4-ADCC-0F9E06C4431F.jpeg
    A1F98C53-852E-43B4-ADCC-0F9E06C4431F.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 3
  • B6A077A9-F4AF-4898-A16A-A047E15C0CE7.jpeg
    B6A077A9-F4AF-4898-A16A-A047E15C0CE7.jpeg
    371.1 KB · Views: 2
I have another kinda acting like she might! She gets kinda riled up when I take the eggs in the evening just like my other one did before she started sitting the eggs I gave her. Its another one of my Phoenix hens too.

Not sure on shrink wrapped..... But if you have coconut oil moisten the membrane with that and it will help you to see if there are any veins. If not peel some of the membrane back so you can see what is going on inside.

A pip on the wrong end is pretty much an internal and external pip in one so it can take up to 48 hrs to hatch since it still needs to do all the stuff it does between internal and external pip then time from external to zip.
So I decided from the beginning, I was going to try to be as hands off as possible, and just let nature take its course. I didn't go right away for the oil, I just kept watching it with my flashlight from outside the incubator. I told the little baby that if it didn't pop through by the time I finished eating dinner, I was coming in! Well, it didn't pop through, and I put some oil on the membrane to see where we're at. I stopped and put it back.

Attachments

• 20230324_210210.jpg
    20230324_210210.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230324_210227.jpg
    20230324_210227.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 2
Chicken math must be a real thing... Since now thinking that we only have 4 hens my wife want to get some day old chicks that came in locally... How old of an age separation is ok in a brooder? Our chicks are 2 weeks old tomorrow, would the bully younger chicks?
I have read up to 4 weeks most times work. I am going to try about a 3 week difference

So I decided from the beginning, I was going to try to be as hands off as possible, and just let nature take its course. I didn't go right away for the oil, I just kept watching it with my flashlight from outside the incubator. I told the little baby that if it didn't pop through by the time I finished eating dinner, I was coming in! Well, it didn't pop through, and I put some oil on the membrane to see where we're at. I stopped and put it back.
Oh ya that baby isn't ready. You may have to keep moistening the membrane to keep it from drying out

Back
Top Bottom