MARCH HATCH-A-LONG come join in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
when you mix a turkin, do you ever get a bare neck chick? or is that trait not dominant.

I believe the "naked" trait is dominant.

Yes its my understanding that the trait is dominant. When I eggtopsied the eggs of my previous failed hatch all four were naked necked. I hate temperature spikes
hit.gif

so sorry you lost all your chicks.
sad.png
I have 1 turkin hen so it is possible that one of the 16 eggs I have could be hers. Maybe I'll get a naked neck!

Quote:
Its really not a stretch...some are VERY inaccurate.

I have 2 identical hygrometers and when calibrated one reads 15% lower and the other reads 20% higher. That is why it is so important to calibrate your hygrometers before each hatch.

I just have a hard time believing that with all of those water sources your humidity is only at 45%--unless you live in a very arid, desert climate.

ETA: I've learned that with the past couple of hatches too much humidity is a very bad thing.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of my babies so far. I believe there are 35 total, but I'd have to put them in a bucket or something to be able to count them
gig.gif

49909_picture_117.jpg

49909_picture_116.jpg

49909_picture_115.jpg

Quote:
Congratulations on your babies!! They are darling!

Ps. I have the same brooder box as you but mines blue! Gotta love the wheels!!

Quote:
the best thing I found was to take a Poise pad... you know, from the feminine products isle... and wet it down and fill all the absorbant beads in it with water. It will be very heavy.. it will last several days. works really good.

Quote:
Congratulations on your babies!! They are darling!

Ps. I have the same brooder box as you but mines blue! Gotta love the wheels!!

Oh yes, it makes it much easier to maneuver! Plus it was on clearance after Christmas, so was only like $10...and it is huge!

Quote:
the best thing I found was to take a Poise pad... you know, from the feminine products isle... and wet it down and fill all the absorbant beads in it with water. It will be very heavy.. it will last several days. works really good.

What a great idea!! Who would have thought? And the 'water-proof' backing would make it not drip through and get water all over the tabletop...LOVE it!
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom