MARCH HATCH-A-LONG come join in

Status
Not open for further replies.
17 roses: Congrats! that's a great pic!

arbucklemurphy: Yes, do turn on day 18. Then do not turn on days 19, 20 + 21. Good luck!

Thanks you Jen4 & gaeamama!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
I ended up with 5 hatching, but one died yesterday. One of the remaining 4 has an eye problem (one eye is sunken in and looks like it's not there, while the other eye is really big and down closer to the beak than it should be), so I'm not sure she'll make it, but she's doing fine thus far. It looks like I did end up with a bantam, though, which I'm thrilled about!
celebrate.gif
It's a little buff colored chick with black striped markings, so I'm thinking my white BC Frizzle roo may have thrown a splash gene (he has a couple black feathers), though that remains to be seen
smile.png
The one that died also looked like a bantam chick, but was all white.

Congrats to everyone on your great hatches! One of these days I'll figure out what I'm doing wrong, so that my hatch percentages go up. All 16 babies were alive and kicking when I put them in the hatcher, but only 5 hatched. I'm not sure what's going on, but I need to get it figured out ASAP, as I have more eggs due on the 29th from my EE hen!

Quote:
Lockdown offically starts the morning of Day 19.
that said:
my Light Brahmas always seem to come a day or 2 earlier so The night of day 18, I do my last candle and place my eggs into the egg cartons instead of back into the turner, so that I can just up humidity in the morning (day 19) as I have had pips and hatches during day 19-20. I would rather have an extra day of lockdown then a chick caught in the turner and injured.

ETA: I have another few (7) eggs in the turner now, awaiting enough for a hatch. I figure the turner is the best place to store them until I start the incubator, as it turns them for me and I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn them.

Last edited:
Quote:
On day 18 with my recent hatch, I placed the eggs on carton egg crate for lockdown and added water to increase humidity. So technically the eggs were still turned or moved. I don't think you harmed the embryos by doing that. They should be fine. Goodluck and post pictures when they hatch.
jumpy.gif

wee.gif
OK... It's my first time incubating and hatching as well as first time for everything else. Today is my day 20 for my 14 Wheaton Marans Eggs from Wheaties and I had to run on here and announce that I have found 6 eggs pipped and I am so excited to see that there is movement and life. I didnt candle or handle the eggs at all so the nervousness of not knowing if I was doing ANYTHING right and if any at all were alive was killing me. I can't believe just how excited I am. i feel like im skipping around my house today LOL... I bet you all are laughing at me. I just had to get on to share. Pictures will be available as soon as I have more. YAY
ya.gif

yippiechickie.gif

jumpy.gif

I am at day 19 with my first hatch in the Genesis 1588.
Down to 28, started with 42. A lot of clears but that is why I am setting, to test the fertility. I have already rearranged a few roos since seeing that and hope the next eggs I candle will be better.
I have 6 1/2 dz running in the Sportsman and am about to add another 5 dz.

These are some chick pic's from my 3/6/10 hatch, they are about 10 days old here, with little wing feathers popping out.

48259_chicks1wkc.jpg

48259_chickswk1f.jpg

There is another batch in the bator due 3/31. I'm trying to catch both ends of this thread!

Brenda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom