Marek’s and future chickens

Evuschak

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2024
If you had Marek’s in your flock, did you wait for all of them to die before getting new chickens?

I have a small flock of now 4 (originally 5), 3 years old, one of them became paralyzed and necropsy pointed to Marek’s. Another one has developed ocular Marek’s in one eye though is otherwise still doing well. Another one is starting to look a bit off and sits around a lot just like my first one did (the one that became paralyzed). The remaining 2 look well and healthy.

Vet said now that I have the virus in my flock I shouldn’t be getting any new chicks until these are gone and the coop is disinfected. Now my original plan was to maybe get 3-4 new chicks next year, as these slow down in egg laying, plus if I end up with just 1-2 left, they would be lonely? What do others do in such situations?

Also to add, all 5 were vaccinated against Marek’s, so to be dealing with this is beyond sad in my first backyard chickens experience as they are much loved pets as well.

Did you ever get a final report or testing on your chickens’s necropsy to confirm Mareks? I was looking back at your thread, and you didn’t post one, or get a more clear photo of the chicken with the grey eye. Could you post a picture of her here? There are many on this forum with Mareks positive flocks. Some have been dealing with it for years. Some breed the chickens that don’t get symptoms to produce chicks. Some may post here.

I did get the final report and yes Marek’s was confirmed for that one.

I will try to take a better picture of the eye but I am 99% sure it’s that; visibly blurry pupil and greyish color and she appears to be blind in that eye. Otherwise she’s doing well though, laying and eating and the other eye is looking good for now.

From what the vet said and what I’ve googled so far, it seems like all of my birds probably have it but these 2 so far have had symptoms/issues. But even the healthy ones probably shed the virus?

Back
Top Bottom