Marek’s Vaccination

Jan 1, 2020
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I’m trying to understand the way the Mareks vaccination works. I have gotten chicks from a hatchery that have been vaccinated for it but I have just been told it is a live virus and has exposed all my other chickens to it. Does this mean all my other chickens that haven’t been vaccinated might get it! I’m so concerned if this is true. I had no idea! They said all my chickens have to be vaccinated for it! Please someone let me know how it works because I honestly don’t know what to do right now.

First, chop up your choice of fruit, enjoy it on vanilla ice cream, and chill. In other words, relax, you are OK.

They do use a live virus to vaccinate for Marek's, but it is turkey Marek's, not chicken Marek's. Your vaccinated chickens are not carriers of Chicken Marek's. Your other chickens are not in danger. Turkey Marek's can't live in them that long either.

The turkey Marek's does not prevent them from getting Marek's. It stops the lesions that do the damage from forming. That means if they ever do get Marek's they can be carriers but they will never show symptoms. They will not get Marek's because of the vaccine. If they get Marek's or the rest of your flock gets Marek's the infection will have to come from a different source.

First, chop up your choice of fruit, enjoy it on vanilla ice cream, and chill. In other words, relax, you are OK.

They do use a live virus to vaccinate for Marek's, but it is turkey Marek's, not chicken Marek's. Your vaccinated chickens are not carriers of Chicken Marek's. Your other chickens are not in danger. Turkey Marek's can't live in them that long either.

The turkey Marek's does not prevent them from getting Marek's. It stops the lesions that do the damage from forming. That means if they ever do get Marek's they can be carriers but they will never show symptoms. They will not get Marek's because of the vaccine. If they get Marek's or the rest of your flock gets Marek's the infection will have to come from a different source.

Okay thank you! The hatchery I’m getting the chicks from told me that getting my chicks vaccinated would expose all my other chickens to it that aren’t vaccinated and that I needed to vaccinate all my future poultry for it. I freaked out at first because I didn’t know what she meant.

Thanks. I emailed them to ask them why. See if I get an answer. Doubt if it will be until after the weekend.
This is exactly what she sent me.
CB6558F3-5150-4A93-8AAE-50F007144C9D.png

The Europeans have been working on a new Marek's vaccine that involves a weakened but live virus. Last I heard it had not made it across the Atlantic but maybe. The turkey Marek's vaccine was no threat whatsoever to our chickens.

In a quick check I did not find anything that says the USDA has approved the use of this new virus but that was a quick check. I'll try some more later.

Back
Top Bottom