Mareks…?

CWhite67

Songster
9 Years
Jul 15, 2014
Nova Scotia
Well I noticed this barred rock pullet being off yesterday. Just by herself on the roost, normally she’d come running over when I open the door. Now she isn’t doing much of anything, tail down, left eye closed a lot, neck looks a bit crooked and off centered. What do y’all think?

Attachments

• 6D0C089A-C742-4DC3-927E-8E7A4B498A9C.jpeg
    6D0C089A-C742-4DC3-927E-8E7A4B498A9C.jpeg
    768.6 KB · Views: 35
  • AEF8B290-1155-4C63-BBC3-09B1A7F4F0D6.jpeg
    AEF8B290-1155-4C63-BBC3-09B1A7F4F0D6.jpeg
    663 KB · Views: 6
  • 983A5F2B-CA07-49E0-B571-CC390732DC99.jpeg
    983A5F2B-CA07-49E0-B571-CC390732DC99.jpeg
    745.9 KB · Views: 6
Let’s hope it is not Mareks. How old is she? I gather that she wasn’t vaccinated? What do her poops look like? Will she eat some moistened chick feed and some scrambled egg? I would also offer water from a small lid or container. Electrolytes such as Poultry NutriDrench would be good as well. I would also consider coccidiosis just in case.

Let’s hope it is not Mareks. How old is she? I gather that she wasn’t vaccinated? What do her poops look like? Will she eat some moistened chick feed and some scrambled egg? I would also offer water from a small lid or container. Electrolytes such as Poultry NutriDrench would be good as well. I would also consider coccidiosis just in case.
You’re right, I hope not as well. They are two months old now. The picture of her by the feeder, she was picking feed in it. And they’ve all been on electrolytes for the last few days with our crazy weather. I seen one poop and it was pretty normal actually. And they weren’t vaccinated coming from an organic farm.

At her age, the first thing I would do is give Corid in the water, just in case of coccidiosis. She is on the younger side if it is Mareks. But chicks with Mareks may have problems with immunity fighting off common infections. Time will tell if it is Mareks. Look for any signs of lameness in one leg or drooping wings, and imbalance. One type of Mareks can cause eye color to fade and the pupil shape to change. Make sure that she can reach food and water. If you use Corid, dosage is 2 tsp of Corid liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. The dosage for the Corid powder is 1.5 tsp per gallon.

At her age, the first thing I would do is give Corid in the water, just in case of coccidiosis. She is on the younger side if it is Mareks. But chicks with Mareks may have problems with immunity fighting off common infections. Time will tell if it is Mareks. Look for any signs of lameness in one leg or drooping wings, and imbalance. One type of Mareks can cause eye color to fade and the pupil shape to change. Make sure that she can reach food and water. If you use Corid, dosage is 2 tsp of Corid liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. The dosage for the Corid powder is 1.5 tsp per gallon.
The problem is being a Canadian, corid isn’t up here… if I remember correctly there’s another name for it up here and we can only get it from the vet. I wonder if I can order corid from the states? Thank you for your help!

Amprol or amprollium, sulfa antibiotics, or toltrazuril all can treat a coccidiosis outbreak. In Canada, even amprollium , which is the same drug as Corid, a prescription is needed or your vet needs to give it to you. I don’t know if you can order it, but something tells me, it might not be available since it is prescription only in Canada.

Back
Top Bottom