Marek's and hatching eggs...

Taebird

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 21, 2012
I have a friend who would like some of my eggs to incubate. Thing is, we have confirmed mareks in my flock. I know the disease isn't transmitted inside the egg, but wouldn't it naturally be present on the outside of the shells? I'm wondering if there is a way to safely clean my eggs before giving them to my friend, or is it too much of a risk of passing this disease on to her chickens....

Any advice is always appreciated...
Thanks an advance!

Mareks is everywhere. Some flocks may be more resistant to it than others but it is always lurking. You have 2 choices, you can vaccinate at day one or breed for resistance. Cleaning the eggs wont do anything and may actually do more harm than good.

Mareks is everywhere. Some flocks may be more resistant to it than others but it is always lurking. You have 2 choices, you can vaccinate at day one or breed for resistance. Cleaning the eggs wont do anything and may actually do more harm than good.
If she has Mareks in her flock and the outside of the eggshell has been exposed and she puts it in an incubator would she not then have Mareks in the incubator to expose the chick to? If that's the case then how is vaccinating a chick who's been exposed to merits going to help?

Ty

Back
Top Bottom