1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mareks Cause Bloody Stools?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mochicken, Dec 9, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have a Marans that is having leg problems, she is only 5 weeks old and can barely walk because her legs dont appear to be working right, I posted on here and from what I had read it sounds like Mareks, she is only 5 weeks old, this morning I found her with her leg in front of her and she was unable to get up but with help she stood.

I tried the Hypericum last night with no relief.

This morning as I was trying to help her stand she pooped on my floor and it had a bunch of blood in it, well looked more like bloody tissue like a coccidia type poo. Is there any chance her problem is coccidia or is it just another sign that the Mareks has got her.

Also, I pulled her out away from the other 5 week old chicks as soon as she started laying around and having trouble standing, what are the odds the others will have Mareks if she does?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She could just be sloughing intestinal lining. This happens naturally and does not affect bird health. Here's a link to the poop page in case you don't have it already:http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0
    A note on bloody poops with cocci- there is no mistaking bloody poops when a bird has a cocci overload. The blood is dark and very obviously blood. I had birds that got cocci when they were much older than usual, but there was no mistaking that the blood was anything other than blood. Good gracious! It looked like a murder had taken place in the coop. If I hadn't realized quickly that the blood was mixed into their waste I would have been searching them for wounds.

I hope your bird perks up soon. I have never had Marek's in my flock (knock on wood), but I am considering getting my next round of birds vaccinated against it just to be safe. I figure it is only a matter of time before it shows up.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by