Marek's disease diagnosis

snugglepup - Can you tell me more specifically how to obtain the vaccine? Everything on line says I can only get 1000 doses. My 20 new chicks have not been exposed, they are in a separate out building. Thanks

I don't think you can get it in a smaller dose size. Also I hate to be the one to tell you but if you have contact with both flocks they(chicks) have been exposed. Just by you being in the area with the ones that have it & then go to the chicks area you can have it on your body. Unless you change cloths & shower before going and taking care of the chicks.

I am so sorry to hear that you have this horrid diaease. Early this year I lost 2 of my d'uccles to what I was sure was Mareks, but the necropsy could not confirm it. those were both birds over 1 year old. Never lost anymore than those 2. Have had chicks hatch here & no problems at this point in time. If the ones that make it start laying there is no reason you can't eat the eggs.

Every backyard flock has been exposed to Marek's. It's not as grim as it sounds, however, some strains can be more virulent than others and will wipe you out.

I recommend vaccinating every bird you hatch from here on out. It was also recommened to me by Peter Brown to vaccinate all of your existing birds, even though they've been exposed. When I began my vaccination protocol I followed his advice and have been very happy with the results.

It is true Marek's vaccine comes in a 1000 dose vial. There is a 200 ml sterile dilutant and another vial containing a 'wafer'. You can pop the top on the vial and carefully cut the wafer into quarters. Take 1/4 of the wafer and add 50 ml of the sterile dilutant. Discard after an hour. You can do 4 "batches" of vaccinating out of one vial.

Hooray!!! I found the vaccine and its only $10 for 1000 doses!!!! And so many folks have given me wonderful wisdom that's not nearly so horrifying. I could still lose a few more girls and that will be very sad but I don't have to kill my whole flock like I was first told. Thank you all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom