mareks disease vaccination question!

Beldenfarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 5, 2013
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a mareks disease vaccination that I could possibly buy online through a poultry or farm animal vaccination website? I am new to all of this, I have had my flock since the beginning of this past summer. Half of my flock was vaccinated for mareks disease when we got them as chicks, and half were not. I would like to vaccinate the chickens for mareks disease now so I know I have a fully vaccinated flock. I wish to do so because i would love to be able to let my silkie hatch out some chicks this summer, and i dont want the chicks to risk exposure/ i would like to vaccinate them once they hatch as well!

I will not be able to do shots- I can only manage to vaccinate them with a drinking water administration technique, or a mist technique, because I am obviously not trained on how to use a needle! I have read online that there are water administered vaccines that are usable on older chickens, just cant find them!

Any help would be great on this :) thank you!

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a mareks disease vaccination that I could possibly buy online through a poultry or farm animal vaccination website? I am new to all of this, I have had my flock since the beginning of this past summer. Half of my flock was vaccinated for mareks disease when we got them as chicks, and half were not. I would like to vaccinate the chickens for mareks disease now so I know I have a fully vaccinated flock. I wish to do so because i would love to be able to let my silkie hatch out some chicks this summer, and i dont want the chicks to risk exposure/ i would like to vaccinate them once they hatch as well!

I will not be able to do shots- I can only manage to vaccinate them with a drinking water administration technique, or a mist technique, because I am obviously not trained on how to use a needle! I have read online that there are water administered vaccines that are usable on older chickens, just cant find them!

Any help would be great on this :) thank you!
The Marek's vaccine is only given as an injection-- it isn't a vaccine that can be placed in the water/misted on the birds. It is really only effective before birds have been exposed, so vaccinating at one day old is best. If you vaccinate later, it will have little to no effectiveness, as the birds may have already been exposed. So, I recommend not vaccinating the birds you have, as it likely won't help now. However, if you hatch out chicks, its a good idea to vaccinate.

Vaccinating by injection isn't as difficult as it might seem. Here are some links to information on giving the Marek's injection:

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/5-3/how_to_vaccinate_poultry_chicks_for_mareks_disease/

http://poultryone.com/articles/mareks-html

Back
Top Bottom