Mareks disease vaccine for current/ future flock and chicks?

If I was going to let my own hen hatch and raise the babies herself, can I let them stay in the coop with the rest of my chickens after I vaccinate them? I don't want to separate so momma doesn't get "exiled" from her flock while raising her babies and I would like the babies to stay with everyone so I don't have to integrate them into the flock later on.

This is a really tough question. Technically the birds are supposed to be vaccinated then allowed time for immunity to build up before exposure.exposure would mean exposure to older chickens or the possibility of getting the disease before the immunity or antibodies have had time to form but that's technically.i would say vaccinate them and do your best. It is much better to vaccinate then not to vaccinate because of a technicality. With the vaccine you will want to vaccinate before they have been at risk for exposure. I was reading it takes about 14 days for the antibodies to build in their body .but I would just defiently vaccinate and do what I could. Its better to vaccinate then not too.

Back
Top Bottom