Mareks disease

Fresco

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2020
What have other people done when they have discovered Mareks in their flock? I had two chickens about 6-7 weeks old that came up with parallelization, so I culled them and submitted them to the vet. The results came back Mareks. So I cleaned and disinfected the pen today, moved the chicks outside, and now what?? Is there something else I should do? or will chicks always die from it - is there any way that I can get it out of the system? Will the outside pen become contaminated too, because I put chickens in it that had been with the sick ones?

Thank You Stipenvlerk - the article was very helpful. Not something I can change a whole lot, so will have to learn to live with it and take my chances and losses.

Welcome!
I'm so sorry for your losses, and am very glad that you got a diagnosis. Knowledge is power!
I would have the flock isolated to prevent transmission elsewhere, and only order vaccinated chicks, who are then not exposed to your environment for almost three weeks, to give them the best chance to have good lives.
I'd avoid Silkies, notoriously difficult with this disease.
All the best,
Mary

Back
Top Bottom