Mareks? Mites? Help Please!

@Wyorp Rock Her crop did empty but unfortunate she isn’t looking better today. Her foot placement is causing me concern.
image.jpg

I don't think it's Marek's from what I can see. Do you have Marek's in your flock, or do you only think that because of the legs? At her age a reproductive problem is possible, or other cancer, or organ failure, those are not uncommon. Depending on what it is it can cause all kinds of symptoms, and if she's not eating, or digesting, then neuromuscular symptoms can happen due to nutritional deficiencies. It would be good to know the answers to the questions previously asked, is the crop emptying, have you given any vitamins, etc. I would also feel her abdomen, between the legs below the vent, see if there is any bloat, either water balloon like, or very firm. Compare with another bird if you are not sure. Also feel her keel bone, is it well muscled or is the bone very prominent? You definitely need to treat the mites ASAP, they will kill her.

Yes im working on the mites right now. I’m not too informed on Mareks but yes, I thought it could be a cause due to her legs. Other hens are walking just fine.

Her crop is emptying and i can show pictures of her droppings in a second.

As for vitamins, what are some recommendations? She doesn’t really seem to have an appetite. I’ll check her keel bone and abdomen in a second.

It does sound like a reproductive issue if the abdomen is bloated and firm. When it's very firm that can mean infectious material, when it's water balloon like it's fluid (ascites), from the liver leaking. Those can cause slow or stopped digestion, which show up as crop issues many times, or weight loss. Many times it's hard to know exactly what the issue is until necropsy. Based on your last picture, it doesn't look like she's doing well at all, and may not have much time left. For most reproductive problems treatments are few and generally not successful, mostly palliative to provide comfort when possible. I'm very sorry. :hugs

thank you, I’ve helped this hen many times before and am sad that she’s going through this. I wish there was more I could do but it is what it is at the end of the day. She’s an old girl :(:hugs

Back
Top Bottom