Mareks or something else???

Jacqdiva

Songster
5 Years
Mar 23, 2014
Hervey Bay QLD Australia
I brought home 8 week old Plymouth Rock chicks. Was supposed to be a roo and 3 pullets. Of course we ended up with 2 roos. One I named Patrick. Patrick got a tick near his eye and went slightly lame. Coincidence???? Not sure. He has gotten progressively better, and only looks a little ungainly now. Then the other Rockafella went lame, more one leg than the other. He had been perching, but now slept on the floor with Patrick. Girls were both fine, and still are. Then Rockafella just died one night. I had looked him over for ticks (no idea if Patrick's tick episode meant anything) and injuries. Nothing. He was the same on the night before he died, limping but functioning, eating and drinking. At a total loss with it all. Very sad to lose him.
Oh, and they were vaccinated for Mareks

I would think if they had a Marek's vaccination, they would not be limping (less likely). I would look around for something they may have eaten. I guess the one with the tick could of had effects. Ticks may cause Encepalitis or nervous system problems. You may want to send the other one for a necropsy if he dies, the links are at the bottom of my posts.

The other possibility for limping may be a vitamin B deficiency and you could give them vitatin B tablets ground up, even if they're people ones. If they by any chance had Marek's, someone must have screwed up the specific care of the vaccine.

Last edited:
I would think if they had a Marek's vaccination, they would not be limping (less likely).  I would look around for something they may have eaten.  I guess the one with the tick could of had effects.  Ticks may cause Encepalitis or nervous system problems.  You may want to send the other one for a necropsy if he dies, the links are at the bottom of my posts.

The other possibility for limping may be a vitamin B deficiency and you could give them vitatin B tablets ground up, even if they're people ones. If they by any chance had Marek's, someone must have screwed up the specific care of the vaccine.
thanks so much for your post. Other roo is still doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom