Mareks resistant chickens.... experience?

MTR

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
I posted a few days ago that I stumbled across the fact that Fayoumi’s are resistant to Mareks. I was told that Naked Necks also are at least more resistant than others. Anyone have first hand experience with breeding and raising your own chicks with Mareks? My plan was to raise my own dual purpose birds which NNs would work if they are actually resistant with our a vaccine.

I've never heard that Fayoumis are immune as a breed, can you site your source? Not questioning you, I just want to know how 'they' figured that out. Naked Neck aren't necessarily a breed so I'm wondering how that works.

I've never heard that Fayoumis are immune as a breed, can you site your source? Not questioning you, I just want to know how 'they' figured that out. Naked Neck aren't necessarily a breed so I'm wondering how that works.
It is in Gail Dammerows chicken health book.

http://www.veterinaryworld.org/Vol.11/October-2018/24.html

A technical piece. Apparently it’s not just them but most Egyptian breeds. Maybe some time in history Mareks hit really bad for generations and the chickens with resistance survived? Just an uneducated surmise. If you google it articles are every where though. The issue with the Fayoumi is it’s really not a great dual purpose bird and even the eggs are only medium.

Back
Top Bottom