Marek's survivor - reintegration w/ flock?

What is Hypericum Perforatum and where did you get it? I am also a new backyard chicken owner and have a hen that is 17 weeks old that has been off balance and weak on the legs. Still eating and walking but it struggling. (its been like a week like this) Anyways I took her to vet because I was so worried about her but they didn't have an answer...not to surprising but it was worth a try. I asked the vet about giving her supplements but she said she should be getting what she needs in her feed. I'm not sure I agree to that but didn't know if you could give them too much vitamins. So with reading a lot online about what it could be I came down to Marek's disease or a vitamin deficiency?
-Kim

Kim, I read that the Hypericum dosage is 1 tablet (I used Boiron as well) per 1T distilled water. My method was to put 8 tablets in 8 tablespoons of water in a dropper bottle, let it dissolve, and use it all week. I tried to get 10 drops (2 droppers full for my little bottle) morning and night. Personally, I'd recommend vitamin B as well - can put in drinking water or flakes of nutritional yeast in food. Can'the overdose on the vitamin B or Hypericum, so my theory is: Go For It!

Alabu- my husband thinks I'mean crazy too. But now that the chicken follows me around and jumps on my lap out in the run, he sees the point of all those baths and chicken PT. HAHA.

This is my first time posting, but I have been doing a lot of reading here. All of these posts give me hope for my little 'Moo' chicken. She lost control of both legs about a week ago, but is still eating and asking for attention when we walk by her recoup cage. She's not ready to give up, so I want to keep trying. We will try the hypericum and nutritional yeast. She loves to be held, so will likely enjoy the PT. I am hoping she improves, she is the sweetest pullet we have ever had (silkies included).

One time, out of 7 Marek's vaccinated Polish, one suffered paralysis. I didn't have the heart to euthanize her since she ate very well and kept her weight. She ended up in my bedroom for 6 weeks. Fed normally. Then she started making walking motions. We were in shock. Hubs and I let her walk back and forth to us like teaching a baby to walk. She was finally put back out with the others. She's probably around7 years old now. She's a beautiful "Crele" Polish named Hannah and currently caring for a blind 10 year old Polish. Bless her soul. It's rare that the paralysis gets reversed, but it does happen and probably moreso to vaccinated chicks. Good for you!

The whole treatment and supportive care story is long; I'm a nerd and so documented every aspect of everything I tried, all the effects, all the successes and failures and stupidities ... I'm considering putting it all together in case it helps anyone in the same boat. But that's for another time. Here's my question at this point:

Shy Peep - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me what you did. My girl, Bunny (she's an Easter Egger) has been showing the M signs for about a week. We brought her in the house. First she didn't lay an egg since around Nov 15, 2017 and, while she used to be all loving and all over me, she wouldn't let me touch her. Then, last week (Jan 5, 2018) I went out back and saw her walking like a drunk hen. We brought her in the house and had her here ever since. We let her into the yard with the others and she kept running into things, but went into the coop. She is back in the house and seems to be getting weaker.

Just before Christmas (2017) Peanut died unexpectedly. She was uninterested in food for about 2 days and then she died.

Please tell me what you did to save your baby. I have been giving tetracycline, vitamins (Juice Plus type) oil of oregano. Been dropper feeding water too.

Thank you all. I have been doing anything and everything for Bunny. This morning my husband handed me a cracker (zero nutritional value, I know) and he said "try it." She couldn't chew down. So I crumbled it, added water and put it in a dosage cup. Put the dosage cup to her beak and she ate. I also gave about 5 droppers full of vitamin and veggie caps (Natrol Juice Festiv)and some oregano oil in water. Been giving her that for 2 or 3 days. Put her into her box (she stayed in the shower until we need to shower, then box for an hour, back in the shower.) She seized and became almost dead. I figured this was it, so we went into the yard, sat in a chair and I held her, thinking she was going to die. Eyes closed, labored breathing. And I was getting bugs all over me! So we found a box, put shavings in, rubbed some more diatimatiaous (sp) earth on her. We had to leave and we put her outside in the sun in a box with water and food. Husband came home an hour or so later..she was eating on her own! Tonight we need to leave her outside (bugs). She is is behind the fence, in a box, under a table with a heat lamp on her. Plus here in Phx it won't get colder than 50.

When we went out to set her up for the night, she was up (ish) and drinking on her own. Plus at my church committee meeting we said a prayer for her. And I put out a prayer request on FB. Please know I am FAR from a holy roller. But damn if that #&$^ doesn't work!

I am reading your happy ending stories. I think hope is one of the best things we can do for our feather babies.

Back
Top Bottom