Marek's Transmition

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by enggass, Dec 15, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Hi all,
    Next Spring I plan on hatching my own eggs. I do not want to vaccinate.
    I currently have 5 birds(8 months old) that came from a hatchery and are Marek's vaccinated.
    What are the odds that the original birds can 'shed' Marek's disease to my new birds?
    Can it happen? Is it common? Is it a definite?

Found this: I think this answers my question...
    I hope this is correct. Anywone?

I understand your and your poultry pal's concerns but you are right in your thinking about Marek's disease. Marek's disease virus is everywhere. In fact, the vaccination of poultry for Marek's disease is a race to see which virus is going to win in the bird.....the vaccine virus or the disease causing virus. While it is true that Marek's disease vaccinated birds are infected with the vaccine virus for life,
    I am not aware of them shedding the vaccine virus. The good news is that the vaccine viruses do not cause disease so your chickens are safe and not "Typhoid Marys." The other vaccines used in poultry do not cause
    "Typhoid Marys" except for almost all vaccines used to protect against Infectious Laryngotracheitis. Chickens vaccinated with those vaccines can shed the vaccine virus and the vaccine virus will make non-vaccinated chickens sick.

As for vaccinating your chickens for other diseases, I only recommend vaccinating chickens against diseases you have had or that are in your area. In most cases, that only includes fowl pox. Please note that chicken pox is a human disease and not a chicken disease. The virus that causes chicken pox in humans does not cause disease in chickens
    nor do humans get it from chickens.

Hope this helps,

R. M. Fulton, D.V.M., Ph.D.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. rockmaster

rockmaster Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    I purchased 26 chicks from a well known factory with the mareks vaccine added. I then hatched 25 additional chicks from that original flock from 4 broodies!!!!. Not only were all very healthy but also robust in size and superlooking. I can say that natural hatching surpasses incubation. Keep in mind that you hatch normal shape eggs and preferably eggs from a younger flock.
    I've raised chickens for 7 years and still amazed of new knowledge, always learning and found that free range is the best way to go if you can do it!!!! I have 70 right now 2 seperate coops . I started with 8 hens 1 rooster and their vital and happy and believe it or not still laying eggs. Rockmasters momma

3. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thanks for the feedback... I started with 5, and can only see more in the future. Fascinating hobby - very rewarding!

4. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:So, does this mean you didn't vaccinate the chicks under the broodys? I have a broody setting on a clutch of five eggs, due to hatch out New Year's Eve. Broody is vaccinated and all other 6 hens as well. Broody is in separate mama housing, and I plan to keep her there for a few weeks after the chicks hatch then let them free range as usual. BUT, i was going to vaccinate the chicks and stick them right back under the hen. Why not? I don't see the reason not to if: 1. she is already vaccinated, 2. all other hens are as well so chicks can't "pass it" to the adults and 3. my hens all free range so likely the chicks will get Marek's if I don't vaccinate them, as it is carried by wild birds as well, i believe.

Help??

Thanks,
    D-

5. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    my birds had chicks all were healthy and lived outside

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by