Mareks Vaccine for Chicks

coffeemama

Barista Queen
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Oregono
Hi all- not sure where to post this. Long story short- our healthy flock of 12+ years had a Marek's outbreak last fall, and we had to dispose of our backyard hens. Now we are getting geared up for chicks but wonder what our options are. I know we can order vaccinated chicks, but we do not need more than 5-6 chicks. Is it possible to buy the 2-3 day old chicks from the farm store and give them the vaccine, or is that too late? We planned on taking the chicks to my mom's house for a 10 day quarantine either way, since we've had chicks/chickens in nearly every spot of our house, and have no idea where Marek's may be hiding. Needless to say, after losing our beloved pets, we're a little gun-shy. Any knowledgeable advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

goldenoldiesfarm

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 10, 2010
Marek's vaccinations can only be administered right when they hatch.

I don't know anything about the disease, but I sure did opt to get mine vaccinated when I ordered them. .15 cents per bird? Go for it. :]

cherylcohen

The Omelet Ranch
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
SF East Bay CA
We've also had meraks and will be vaccinating any eggs/chicks that hatch. also the feed stores that have the chicks for sale typically buy them vaccinated from the hatchery so maybe check with yours

fancbrd4me02

Songster
Nov 15, 2009
San Diego, California
I have read that exposure to turkeys can provide a natural resistance to mareks disease. Maybe you could borrow or keep a turkey. I keep turkeys and have never had my flock come down with mareks.

Top Bottom