Mareks vaccine quarentines

NaperLix

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2019
Any hatcheries do quarentines Mareks other vaccines?most don’t my pet ch.doesn’t.7 of 8 chickens chicken from chicken scratch poultry Mareks,heart,blindness paralyzed.
same people are feeding adults and newly vaccinated chicks.
What place goes the very important extra mile?most family run do not.
looking for pullets that were quarantined properly.

If you order chicks from a major hatchery, you can request the Marek's vaccine.

Once you receive the chicks, they need to be quarantined for at least 2weeks away from existing flocks. This is to help ensure chicks build some resistance, but there's no guarantees that the vaccine will offer any type of full protection. The vaccine is designed to limit tumor formation, it does not prevent infection from the virus.

I know all that but,I want pullets that have been quarantined properly.not chicks

I know all that but,I want pullets that have been quarantined properly.not chicks
Large hatcheries sell point of lay pullets, you could call and ask if they quarantine them while growing them out.

Another option would be to just raise your own, hatch your own eggs, then vaccinate your own chicks.

It's very unlikely that you will find a private breeder that has enough room, money and time to quarantine grow outs and sell them for just a few dollars.

And even at that, again...there's NO guarantee that quarantined and vaccinated birds won't become sick.
Life is not perfect.

You could check for a NPIP certified breeder/hatchery (non-commerical ones) in your area and see if they sell pullets, that would be my best suggestion. I wouldn't take anyone's word on quarantining.

You could check for a NPIP certified breeder/hatchery (non-commerical ones) in your area and see if they sell pullets, that would be my best suggestion. I wouldn't take anyone's word on quarantining.
NPIP does not mean Marek's free, nor are folks that participate in NPIP required to vaccinate for Marek's.

NPIP is a voluntary program for breeders, hatcheries, etc.

The certification usually covers and shows that flocks have been tested and free of Avian Influenza, Pullorum and Typhoid at the time of testing. Various other testing may be voluntary or required depending on the program state.

Marek's is not a disease that is tested for in NPIP programs.

There was a place in Michigan,that used biohazard methods and different employees to feed,haz mat gear for 2 week period for chicks vaccine.
I could get vaccinated chicks myself but,after chicken scratch poultry sending 8 Mareks pullets to my property ,I can not safely quarentines anything,ever.
My fully 1 month vaccinated quarantined chicks,now chickens ,have never caught Mareks.I have full faith vaccine,if done right,so does my vet.
Plus I still take care of 4 Mareks chickens,now 2 years old.2 lay eggs,2 don’t,1 weak legs,1 got over paralyzed,most stay on antiinflammatortiex,keep lesions down.1 mostly blind( came that way).They all jump,play and are happy.2 bulk,2 lavender orphingtons.Yes,they can live with Mareks.Antiinflammatories help a great deal.
My healthy chickens stay different coop,play same area.they don’t like any newer ones.
Buy,they are not sick because of proper quarantining when little, for vaccines.Otherwise ,any vaccines are useless.

The place in Michigan does not post address and no one can own chickens,no one can go to facility that does not work there.
maybe someone out there knows

Back
Top Bottom