Marek's Vaccine - Worried Mamma

cfbandme

Chirping
Apr 24, 2018
N. Central Iowa
Okay - this is a spin off question this morning from another question I had about my 4 day old RIR chicks. We had them vaccinated at the hatchery for Cocci and Marek's - because neither sounded like anything I wanted my girls to catch. I knew from reading articles here on BYC that I shouldn't feed them medicated feed, but now are there certain restrictions I should be following? The hatchery didn't send any information with me - so panic is starting to creep in!!:( I've been giving the chicks AVC in their water since they came home and I'm wondering about some ground oatmeal in their feed to help one with a small case of pasty butt this morning. But are there things I should or shouldn't be doing with vaccincated chicks that I missed??? HELP PLEASE

No. nothing. The vaccinations require nothing other than keeping the chicks away from the older flock until the vaccines have done their job to boost the immune system. (My memory tells me it takes about 2 weeks).

ACV is fine. Oatmeal is fine. Medicated feed is simply unnecessary as they have been vaccinated.

Do be aware that the vaccines are like the cold vaccine. While they protect from the common strains, they do not protect from all strains. It is an additional protection but not a guarantee.

Your adult flock has already been exposed to the strains on your property and have their own immune systems built up. So, slow exposure of the babes, generally around 12 weeks of age, is considered best to assure that their immune systems can handle the additional pressures. However, many do not wait that long and have no issue.

I do not vaccinate but raise my own chicks under broodies within the flock so the babes grow up with immunities to the strains on my property, however whenever bringing in animals from a different location, precautions should be taken.

Congratulations on your new little broods. :D
Lofmc

THANK YOU!!! I'm feeling a little less anxious reading your comment - we are first time chicken parents - so I don't know ANYTHING!! :barnie And I didn't think I would worry as much as I have been this week.

It sounds like since my babes were all hatched together and vaccinated - I'm doin' just fine :)
Thank you again!

Yes...you are fine. If they were all vaccinated and all from the same spot and the only chicks on the property, your only risk is becoming too attached and wanting more.

Have fun with your little brood.
LofMc

I believe with Marek's dz. there is a 3 week window in which you need to keep your vaccinated chicks away from all other poultry.
Thank you! These are the only chicks we have - picked up from a local hatchery. I thought I was doing okay until a comment was made about doing or not doing something with vaccinated chicks ... I paniced that I was doing something wrong :( but it sounds like since these are our only chicks and they've been together - everything is fine. I was going to give them a clup of our grass from the yard this afternoon - but I think I'll hold off and stick to their feed and ground oatmeal.

Exposing them to your soil will help them to develop their immunity to cocci and other pathogens. However, since I don't ever have my chicks vaccinated, you would be wise to follow the guidelines posted by your hatchery regarding soil exposure. I would ask a hatchery rep.

Back
Top Bottom