Mareks Vaccine

thanks for the info, Jody! Its worthwhile to read it after I lost a few from Marek's even they have been vaccinated for it. As far as my hatched chicks, I hope they get enough immunity from it and so far, they are doing well.

Thank you for sharing this- great information and clears up my questions about poultry vaccinations and viruses which do or do not shed...
wink.png

I have no objection to vaccinating - certainly not the cost, which is nominal. And no problem with quarantining, since I brood chicks in my den! Is there a downside to vaccinating? I can't see one. Ten cents per chick is nothing.

Howdy, extremely interesting thread. I hatched a chick last year as an experiment and have a beautiful and wonderful temprement silkie hen

Now i didnt even think about a vaccine at the time and she is about 8 months now and is (touch wood) very health

My question is .. is it worth getting her vaccinated? i have a guy just down the road who can do it!

Will i need to quarentine her if i do vaccinate? all the rest of them have had the vaccination. (6 other chickens)

The thing I see missing here is that the MSU doc says that people are worried that vaccinated cicks being contagious forever...and thats not what the danger seems to be.
Its the first 10-15 days after the vaccination on day old chicks. Supposedly the vaccine is only for day olds and the chicks should not be put near other chickens fora wek or two.
I have heard this time and again....and the article about vaccinating theadult birds is also less clear about any of it (though I find that guy to be unclear in alot of his posts about medical issues...if you read through his list of posts)
the live vaccine sheds heavily for the first couple of wks and it can get on you and get to the other chickens...this isnt the same stuff that is everywhere and in the soil etc...or all birds would be dying....
If it is everywhere, then why do we need to vaccinate at all? not all birds get it obviously, so what is the difference between the vaccine and what is in the environment?
It has to be different in some fundamental way

The only way to keep your entire flock vaccinated for Marek's is to purchase vaccinated chicks from a hatchery and keep them quarantined for at least 10 days or to hatch your own in an incubator and keep them quarantined. Most feedstores do not sell vaccinated chicks - vaccinated chicks cost more money and can't be safely quarantined at a feedstore. So.... those of us who purchase chicks from feedstores or let our hens hatch eggs will be raising unvaccinated chickens.

Typically, Marek's strikes chickens between 12-24 weeks of age. For those of you who are worrying about your unvaccinated older chickens; you don't need to be concerned about your older chickens getting Marek's disease once they are at least 7 months old (it could happen, but it's rare). You can always vaccinate your new additions to the flock to keep them safe as long as you hatch them yourself or buy vaccinated chicks from a hatchery.

My flock of 21 are unvaccinated. I have 13 that are safely past the age of getting Marek's. I did lose one pullet about 3 months ago at 16 weeks of age, but never determined the cause -- all the rest of the chickens have been very healthy. I hate the idea of losing any of my chickens so I'm going to be extra vigilant in making sure my 8 younger pullets (now 14 weeks old) are not stressed during the danger zone. That means making sure they get extra nutrition like yogurt, greens, etc, and not integrating them into the older flock until they have started laying. Integration is stressful on newcomers and I think Marek's tends to attack their systems when the chickens are getting ready to start laying.

Quote:
The vaccine virus is different than the actual Marek's virus. It's just similar enough to create immunity. A properly vaccinated and quarantined chick will NOT become a carrier. Chicks that are vaccinated and not properly quarantined may becaome carriers. Chicks don't have full immunity until about 10 days after the vaccination. A chick that is exposed to the outdoors, adult unvaccinated birds, unsanitized brooders, etc. within that 10 day period will only have partial immunity. They may have enough immunity to lessen or never show clinical signs, but they may become carriers. The only way to do it right is to QUARANTINE AFTER VACCINATION!! The myth of the vaccine creating carriers comes from the people that vaccinate their chicks and don't properly quarantine them. During their quarantine keep them away from adult birds that were not vaccinated and quarantined as chicks. Sanitize your brooder before using it. Wash your hands before handling the chicks. Don't wear the same clothes that you wore in the coop while you are handling the chicks.

Quote:
The vaccine virus is different than the actual Marek's virus. It's just similar enough to create immunity. A properly vaccinated and quarantined chick will NOT become a carrier. Chicks that are vaccinated and not properly quarantined may becaome carriers. Chicks don't have full immunity until about 10 days after the vaccination. A chick that is exposed to the outdoors, adult unvaccinated birds, unsanitized brooders, etc. within that 10 day period will only have partial immunity. They may have enough immunity to lessen or never show clinical signs, but they may become carriers. The only way to do it right is to QUARANTINE AFTER VACCINATION!! The myth of the vaccine creating carriers comes from the people that vaccinate their chicks and don't properly quarantine them. During their quarantine keep them away from adult birds that were not vaccinated and quarantined as chicks. Sanitize your brooder before using it. Wash your hands before handling the chicks. Don't wear the same clothes that you wore in the coop while you are handling the chicks.

if you have newly vaccinated chicks in a brooder that is within 10 feet of unvaccinated chickens would this be considered quarantined??if not how far away is sufficient??? thanks

Back
Top Bottom