Mareks? Vet says Coccidia.

Did you treat them all before with Corid? Hopefully, the hen got pushed off as you said, but I see one occasionally who is busy eating when the light goes off, not making it up on the roost in time. Just check her out tomorrow. If you do see another bird who becomes lame or is acting off, just find out how to go about getting a necropsy. That way you will have a plan and know the costs involved if one is necessary.

Did you treat them all before with Corid? Hopefully, the hen got pushed off as you said, but I see one occasionally who is busy eating when the light goes off, not making it up on the roost in time. Just check her out tomorrow. If you do see another bird who becomes lame or is acting off, just find out how to go about getting a necropsy. That way you will have a plan and know the costs involved if one is necessary.

I did the moderate amount in the birds water outside. The hen was laying on the ground this morning but got up and walked outside into the run when I opened up door. When its real cold outside I make warm oatmeal for them and she ate. Im going to start more aggressive corid treatment this morning.

I would always use the maximum Corid dosage when treating birds for possible coccidiosis, just to make sure they get enough of the medicine. But at 7 months they should have built up some tolerance to the coccidia in the soil. I would watch her behavior the next few days to see if she is having balance or a leg issue, or if she is being bullied. That can be one reason she is not getting on the roost. Let’s hope it isn’t an illness.

This hen is the boss but I noticed this morning she is acting meek. I took out the main 5 gallon waterer and replaced it with a 2 gallon bucket with emergency dose of the corid, that way its easier to clean and replace water everyday. I also gave her the 1mm corid just in case. Im hoping its just the cocidia and not Mareks. I will have an necropsy on her if she goes. Eggcessive do you know if older chickens can be vaccinated against Mareks or if they are already exposed its just too late for them. I have never ever had a disease in my small flock so this is very new to me.

Ok I read the whole article on Mareks so I am informed about the disease and vaccinations ect.. Hoping for the best that its not Mareks.

Yes, unless chickens are vaccinated as day olds and stay clear of any exposure to Mareks at least 2 weeks, it does no good to vaccinate older chickens. Hopefully, it isn’t Mareks.

Second hen just looked a little sick. Brought her to avian vet. said she is weak and has a little fluid in lung. No coccidia in poop. Wanted 300.00 to do xray. Said just give treatment. Gave her B12 injection and sent me home with antibiotic, and emergency powder to put on food. As soon as I walked through my door her head swung backwards stiffly, wings flapped a little, she made two noises and dead in 15 seconds. Whats weird is she was instantly stiff as a board seconds after death. Now they tell me upwards of 500.00 to do necropsy. She said they have to drive bird to Nashville a few hours away to state avian facility.
So now I walk into my chicken pen and my little Bantam rooster attacked me and really cut up my leg. Keeps attacking me while im trying to change out water and clean pen. He was a sweet rooster until the two hens died. Is this normal for a roo to change behavior due to me taking out sick hens and not returning them back. And now went to close run door in the dark and another hen is not roosting with my roo and another hen. Found her in the nest box, no egg. Exactly what first hen did before she became paralyzed. Guess I will see in morning if she is paralyzed. Never had illness like this before in my flock years ago.

Last edited:
Contact your state vet tomorrow to ask about a necropsy. You can ship the body overnight (via Fedex or UPS) on Monday if you keep it refrigerated, but not frozen. Or you could drive it yourself Monday am. Many state vets will send a prepaid label for shipping and charge it to your bill. Sorry that you lost her.
Here is a list of state vets including 2 numbers in TN:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Any change in pecking order can cause problems in a chicken coop. The rooster feels like the chickens are his property, so he probably is afraid that you are taking his hens.

Contact your state vet tomorrow to ask about a necropsy. You can ship the body overnight (via Fedex or UPS) on Monday if you keep it refrigerated, but not frozen. Or you could drive it yourself Monday am. Many state vets will send a prepaid label for shipping and charge it to your bill. Sorry that you lost her.
Here is a list of state vets including 2 numbers in TN:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Any change in pecking order can cause problems in a chicken coop. The rooster feels like the chickens are his property, so he probably is afraid that you are taking his hens.
Thank You Eggcessive. I clicked the link and found the one in Nashville. I bet its the one the vet would send her to. I now have a third hen not roosting and in the nest box tonight. Thats what the first one did before she became paralyzed.

Back
Top Bottom