marking/banding chickens/chicks

yyz0yyz0

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2012
Hi all,
What do others do if you need to mark or band a bird? What do you use for bands, do I need to buy something or can I make bands out of household items?

thanks

Some people use multi colored twist ties, but you have to be very careful about changing them as the chicks grow. I used toe web punching, but again that needs to be monitored as they can grow back together as chicks grow.

I don't usually band since I find it troublesome with my feather footed showbirds but I am in close contact to a breeder and the way he organizes chicks is he made his own little numbering system by punching holes in the toe webbing (he said something about there not be complete bloodflow there for the first day) So he numbers them like that, but then again he hatched around 800+ birds while I hatch only 6-40 at a time XD As for adult bands though, I'd just go to the feedstore, they usually have chicken bands there of many shapes, sizes and colours.

Zipties here too. they come in many different colors and sizes. Just pay attention and change them out when needed.

Back
Top Bottom