marking/banding chickens/chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by yyz0yyz0, Mar 3, 2016.

1. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Hi all,
    What do others do if you need to mark or band a bird? What do you use for bands, do I need to buy something or can I make bands out of household items?

thanks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Some people use multi colored twist ties, but you have to be very careful about changing them as the chicks grow. I used toe web punching, but again that needs to be monitored as they can grow back together as chicks grow.

3. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I don't usually band since I find it troublesome with my feather footed showbirds but I am in close contact to a breeder and the way he organizes chicks is he made his own little numbering system by punching holes in the toe webbing (he said something about there not be complete bloodflow there for the first day) So he numbers them like that, but then again he hatched around 800+ birds while I hatch only 6-40 at a time XD As for adult bands though, I'd just go to the feedstore, they usually have chicken bands there of many shapes, sizes and colours.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Zipties here too. they come in many different colors and sizes. Just pay attention and change them out when needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by