marking eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gonechickcrazy, Aug 11, 2008.

1. gonechickcrazy

gonechickcrazy Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    We are new to chickens this year and are starting to get our first eggs. My question is can you either mark or stamp the date on the egg? I would like to know some way to know which need to be used first. We have 28 hens so I will be getting a lot of eggs before long. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tisha
    Thanks for the info!!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We just put them in cartons in the order they are gathered. You can mark the cartons #1, #2, etc. with the date or dates the eggs were laid. Works for us.

3. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

The supermarkets here in Maine sell eggs that are marked.

Egglands Best Egg Company sells eggs with their company logo on them.

I have eggs from Shaws that have the expiration date etched right onto each egg. Must be done with some sort of laser or something.

You could always get food grade markers and write on each egg with them.

I have those kind of markers for my kids. They use them to decorate cookies. I got them at Walmart.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    We have a very very high tech system for knowing which eggs were laid when (eating eggs, I mean).

I put them in a carton, and the bottom shelf of the fridge is the egg shelf. The cartons go in the shelf from right to left. So the ones on the right are the OLDEST eggs. When I need to grab a carton to give away or use, I grab from the right side and move the onees on the left over to the right. They stack two high, so the bottom right are the oldest, then the ones on top next, then shift over to the left, etc.

Since I give away all my eggs each week (I take whatever we don't eat to church or give to friends) I start over again each Sunday putting the cartons on the right. That way I can also say to whomever takes them that they were all laid within the last week.

Now, when colledting eggs for hatching, I collect them for a week (or until I have however many I need), then mark all the ones set at the same time with a colored sharpie X on one side, and mark in my calendar what group was set on which date. That way when I do a staggered hatch, I know all the ones with a pink X go in the hatcher together on a particular date, etc.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:Except that we use the TOP shelf, and go Left To Right, we do the same exact thing! I was rofl when I read your post! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by