1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marking/Identifing Chickens That Look Alike

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CJW, Oct 25, 2010.

1. CJW

CJW Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Great Falls, MT
    I went to my local fleet supply dealers and they had no leg bands.

I have 7 Plymouth White Rock Pullets, and they all look the same! My boys are excited to name "theirs", but I want us to be able to identify them individually.

Could I use elastic ribbon or something? (How would I put that on? [​IMG])

If you have anything that works, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You could put a little dot of color on their heads. Lots of hatcheries do that to identify which chick is a rooster if they ship an order of chicks.

3. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    I would check eBay, I'm sure you can get leg bands on there.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Zip ties are what I use. 120 of different colors for $1 at the Dollar Tree is alot cheaper then any bands. Just cut off the excess once you zip it on.

When I have alot of chicks I use multiple bands on each leg to keep track of who is who. That is how I had a Rooster named L-RBG(Left - RedBlueGreen).

Just be sure to check them often on growing birds. A tight band of any kind can cause permanent damage if not caught early.

Matt

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    You'll need to keep a close eye on them b/c their legs grow fast but zip ties work great for this! [​IMG] I actually buy some just for this purpose. I use the really small ones for the chicks and then, as they grow, clip them off and put new ones on.

If you don't have any of those, I've use a small hair tie or rubber bands from braces, something small like that. To put those on, I just gently hold their toes together, stretch out the band and slip it over. I watch closely and if it start getting snug just clip it right off--same for the zip ties.

pretty soon they will just 'know' which one is theirs--my kids always do!

good luck!

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:x2 and in the meantime bingo daubers work great for short term identification.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    This is what I did with my Wyandottes until I started to tell them all apart. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Colored leg bands AND wings.

9. CJW

CJW Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Great Falls, MT
    Wow, you guys rock! Thanks for the ideas!

I think the most cost efficient way for me to do this would be the zip tie them. I will head to the Dollar store tomorrow. My ladies are 6 months old, and they are pretty big! How much bigger are they going to get?

Here are my boys with two of them:
    [​IMG]

Quote:I would do this, however, if I did, I would have to do both wings, but I trimmed one wing. Plus, I really like how pretty-white they are...And I am too picky about symmetry. (aka I am a nutcase)

I am strongly considering putting a leg band on each leg, but I might let it slide...just this once...er...7 times.

I am so excited to name them. (And so are the boys!)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  10. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    what an adorable picture! [​IMG] Your boys look so proud of their girls! At 6 months, they should be about full grown size wise, may fill out a little bit more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by