Marking newly hatched chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by seventreesfarm, Feb 23, 2013.

1. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    I'm getting ready to load up the incubator with a mixed batch that I need to keep track of. I'm going to use plastic baskets to keep everyone separate in the bator, but what are some good methods for marking after hatch, when they go into the brooder?

2. ChckenBoy13

ChckenBoy13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Claremont, NC
    One thing you can do is mark their legs with different color sharpies. Just take a sharpie and make a little ring around their leg. Be sure to do this about every 3 days to make sure the mark doesn't fade.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  3. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    I have heard of ppl punching their toes, if y'all want permanent. I don't think the marker would be permanent. Plus redoing it every 3 days is time consuming. But at the same time toe punching isn't very humane, unless the nerves haven't fully developed in the feet 'webs' (like with goats, the nerves in their horns don't develope till they are three days, so you can dehorn. Don't know of its the same with chick toes.)

4. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    I came across a lot of references to toe punching, but I'd rather not do that. I mostly want something to keep track of them til I can put on numbered leg bands. The sharpie method would be helpful, even though it requires more maintenance. Guess if the hatch is small enough it's a good way to also get the chicks used to being handled.

5. ChckenBoy13

ChckenBoy13 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Claremont, NC
    3 days is just a guess. I wanted a humane way to separate my chicks and I did that. I didn't necessarily have to mark their legs every three days but whenever it wore off a little bit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by