Martha feed her girls Citrus?!?!

Jenn1399

Songster
12 Years
Mar 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
This has probably already been posted, but in my most recent issue of Martha Stewart, I noticed in a photo of her chickens ( & their feed!) that Martha feeds her chickens citrus. In the photo I saw half citrus fruits, I think oranges mixed in with the other kitchen scraps she feeds them.

Our no-go list for chickens is citrus, banana peels & sweets. Should I amend my no-go lists & put citrus on the yes list??

What is on your no-go list???

Ummm...we feed our chickens and ducks anything that isn't meat or eggs. So all our uneaten bananas and peels, oeanges and orange peels, lemon wedges from water, any leftover donuts cake cookies muffins...literally anything that isn't meat or eggs (well now I kniw hard boiled is ok) and my chickens are haopy and healthy and love life! They are about a year old. I am by no means an expeet tho!!

I've heard it said both ways. I know some who say no to citrus but I also know some who think it's fine. The chickens seem fine either way

Sorry tell that to our Florida Chickens who eat Citrus right from the tree. Our son did a science project on citrus in a chickens diet. Those hens laid the same amount of eggs as the control group who got no citrus.

I don't think that it's a "do not feed" thing. I think it's more that most chickens won't eat it. A neighbor of mine saves scraps for treats, and he often has citrus in it, most don't eat it, though they do eat everything else. None have had any problems with it.

Back
Top Bottom