Marti's Poultry Farm

I have ordered from Marti's many times and always have good luck with my chicks. It's too bad they have apparently shut down.

I have also ordered from Cackle, Murray Mcmurray,Country Hatchery, and Ideal. Of all those have to say my best luck has been with Cackle, and Country Hatchery. Ordered 15 Welsummer pullets and 3 cockerels this Feb. and i received 16 pullets and the 3 cockerels. They are almost a month old and I havent lost one yet. (from Cackle)

I ordered 25 RIR pullets from Country Hatchery last time (no cockerels) and they got 100% correct. Didnt lose any of those either. I havent had as good of luck with Ideal or Murray. Have had back luck on all pullet orders and deaths have occured more often with orders from them. I like to give any hatchery the benefit of the doubt a few times but as many times as i've used the all. I think i'll stick with Cackle and Country from here on out. FYI: Country Hatchery is a very small family owned hatchery in Oklahoma. Their selection is smaller but the quailty has been excellent in my experience.

Last edited:
I'm 60 years old and can remember my dad going to Cackle Hatchery to get chickens when I was a little boy. Now 50 years later I decided to get back into having chickens for my grand kids. Well I live in north Missouri but I travel to south Missouri once in a while. Stopped by and got what I wanted and got home with them and had extra chicks. They all lived the ride home because of the heat pad that was in the little nest box. Even if a couple had died, big deal, so what, that's why dogs, cats have so many in a liter. Hens have 10-12 in a brood. Sounds like if one chick dies that person will post a negative comment about hard working people making a living. Some people you just couldn't please if the chicks were gold plated they would question the quality of the gold. Ignorant

Last edited:
Lol this is true galen. There are good & bad experiences with all hatcheries. People can be ruined with just one little thing and never give that hatchery a chance again. I say find one or two you like and stick with them. These hatcheries want your repeat business as customer and they know with the internet that people are going to leave positive or negative reviews so obviously its to their benefit to give you the best possible overall experience.

I'm 60 years old and can remember my dad going to Cackle Hatchery to get chickens when I was a little boy. Now 50 years later I decided to get back into having chickens for my grand kids. Well I live in north Missouri but I travel to south Missouri once in a while. Stopped by and got what I wanted and got home with them and had extra chicks. They all lived the ride home because of the heat pad that was in the little nest box. Even if a couple had died, big deal, so what, that's why dogs, cats have so many in a liter. Hens have 10-12 in a brood. Sounds like if one chick dies that person will post a negative comment about hard working people making a living. Some people you just couldn't please if the chicks were gold plated they would question the quality of the gold. Ignorant

One or two bad reviews are not going to stop me from buying from certain hatcheries. If there was a rash of bad reviews going on, I would be suspecious and let the hatchery make good on their customers orders. IF they dont, then we all know that we must find another.

Agreed. If you based your choice on the few poor reviews then i'm not sure any hatchery would get new or repeat business. I guess over the 25-30 years i've been ordering from hatcheries the worst experiences that i've had have been very minor (wrong sex birds on an all pullet order) i've never ordered and had major death losses occur from any of the 7 or 8 different hatcheries i've used over the years. Maybe that's just luck. If a hatchery doesnt make right on an issue then I could see reason to not use them again.

One or two bad reviews are not going to stop me from buying from certain hatcheries. If there was a rash of bad reviews going on, I would be suspecious and let the hatchery make good on their customers orders. IF they dont, then we all know that we must find another.

I had a horrible experience with Meyer...got a huge run of sick chicks last year HUGE...lost half of the 100 plus chicks. But they did their very best to make good on it...only made things worse by sending more sick chicks-but this is the chicken business. Some years, for no reason at all, chicks get sick and die. In some cases blame the hatchery but to be honest this is no place for the delicate. All the hatcheries have problems, just like we do. I hatch my own as well and have problems. Got some bad ones from Marti's a few years ago and bad from cackle just last year. But I will keep ordering what I want from the hatchery with the best varieties and Number one for me...THE BEST CUSTOMER service, because as Mr. Murphy says...CRAP IS JUST GONNA HAPPEN. I have gotten some HORRIBLE mite infested chicks from private breeders---those have been my worst experience EVER! I miss Marti...they were the only one with my Missouri Egg layer...the best laying chicken in the world and they were so nice to deal with
. WHAT TO DO??? Oh MY...

I called directory assistance for Windsor, MO, where they are located, but I've never got an answer after calling for several weeks.

Back
Top Bottom